What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 Rocket Cold Air Induction

sailvi767

Well Known Member
I am considering swapping engines to one with a Barrett CAI. I understand it won?t fit the Rocket Cowl. I have the standard cowl with Winings mod to the lower cowl and 3 inch round intake. I am told the Raven or Superior CAI might fit. Has anyone done this and are there any other suggestions?
George

It?s worth the trouble

The Barrett setup gave me 30+ MP on takeoff roll at 600MSL with the Airflow 300 and 9.5 pistons. You’ll need to roll the exh system outboard a bit at the cyls, and make what it takes to the belly. Figure on a custom air box for the bigger fuel controller. Get in touch with Rozendahl about his setup - I had it way back when, but he has more hours on it than I did. Trust his recent numbers more than my memory.

I don’t know about the performance of the others, but Red Bull used the Barrett parts when they were still racing. That means something!

Or - you could sell the LYC with prop and put a TCM 550-N on the nose..310HP right out of the box, and 325 with a couple small tweaks.....340 with pistons...about 10lbs heavier, and very smooth (4 counterweights). Hoo chee mama! And - the 550 comes with Cold Air.

Check the price of used engines in Trade-a-Plane and other sites.

550 engine mount, exhaust, and cowling available - just bolt ‘em on! Heh-heh...

Last edited:
I would love to put a 550 on the aircraft. Sadly after upgrading the panel my budget is a bit depleted! I am being told that the Raven CAI unit combined with a exhaust from Aircraft Custom Exhaust will fit the F1 cowl. Anyone running that combo?
G

Back