Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2020, 11:47 PM

Spent another few hours at the hangar this evening.

ELT is nearly wired. After that, everything is done, except fuel flow and tank senders, which I haven't fitted yet.

Having been through 800 iterations of the same idea, I've finally settled on what I'm doing with the floor, and how to address my centre console idea. The centre of the floor will have a small raised tunnel, similar to the transmission tunnel on a car. Inside this I will put my EarthX battery, wiring harness, fuel lines, pump and red cube.

I'd like to put the tank selector and elevator trim on a separate, standalone bracket.

Question... is it OK to use the wing spar bolts to hold this bracket in place? The bracket would span 6 of the large high-tolerance bolts at the top of the spar (three on each wing). I understand that the bolts are in shear, but don't want to discover that they're also somehow in tension, and that having a slither of 2024 sandwiched in there is not safe.
2020 paid
Old 01-18-2020, 11:30 AM

Have you seen the forward spar kick panels and center box that covers the fuel valve plumbing as used on 7 & 9 models? They mount to each other & the cover screws to the seat floor panels. Cleans up that area pretty good.
Mon - 6 build project to finish
Tues - 6 upgrade project, canopy, panel, interior & fairings
Wed - 9A salvage rebuild, wing, firewall, gear, engine
Thurs - 7 salvage rebuild (was second plane I built, the Turbo Subie) for a buddy
Rest of week - belongs to the wife!
Old 01-19-2020, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
Have you seen the forward spar kick panels and center box that covers the fuel valve plumbing as used on 7 & 9 models? They mount to each other & the cover screws to the seat floor panels. Cleans up that area pretty good.
Hi Ralph. Yes I have. My 6 actually has a similar situation, only the kick panels were missing when I bought the project.

The builder had a center console that ran from the front of the seats to the underside of the panel. You could seel oads of wires etc by hanging out of it, and I didn't like it much.

For now, I'm going to do the floor, the center tunnel (had a neat idea for this that will qualify the aircraft as 100% American. All shall be revealed). I may reinstate the kick panels at a later date.
2020 paid
Old 01-19-2020, 02:40 AM

Another long day in the hangar. Replaced the wingtip lights with LED units, as per a thread found on here. Ran the wig-wag for the first time and it looked great. I've always wanted an aircraft with wig-wags.

Curt Pullen dropped by to inspect the mess I have made. Curt has an RV-7A which he built about 15 years ago. He was a crew chief on C5s once upon a time.

Intercom is in. I still cant work out the last bit of wiring and it's driving me insane.

I fitted the hanging rudder pedals! They were the first thing I addressed after buying the project. I screwed them up because I was having problems with the air ducts interfering with the mounts at each end, and it was a bit of a knock to the confidence. In the months after, I came up with a solution (that only mildly defaced the finish of the aircraft) and it worked well, so pretty happy.

Next things to address... Proseal new tank senders, install new aluminum fuel lines (plus pump and red cube), pre-oil the motor and... it might be ready to run. Amazing.
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 01-19-2020 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:20 PM

You might revisit the RV7 tunnel for Fuel Injection. It provides a pretty big "dog house" for the pump and filter as well as incorporating the fuel selector. I cut the tunnel short of the firewall and dressed my wires through a conduit. The kit includes the heater venting. I put a blanking plate on that since I cut off the tunnel short of the firewall. I cut off the tunnel short as it takes quite a bit of monkeying around at the firewall to make your control cables work. It was just easier and cleaner to cut it off and blank off the bottom of the heated air plenum above it.
The kick plate doesn't work on a 6. They are built into the design of the 7. You have to modify the "dog house" with mounting flanges, and yes, I tied these under the spar bolts, four of them total, left/right, top/bottom.
Mine is injected so it worked great to have the system at the time with all of the parts from Vans with very little modification.

I will be down there in March golfing the PGA West Courses. I am not sure I will have time to run up there but would love to see your project. We'll see.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:34 PM

Hi Jon. Weird - I'm actually in the Indian Wells Resort tonight - my wife won a stay in some library raffle thing.

I met Chris (who put me on this aircraft when it was for sale) last March, whilst he was here for the tennis tournament. He'd flown his Magni autogyro in to Bermuda Dunes, saw my RV-4 parked on the tie downs, and asked the airport to contact me. We met up, I flew in his autogyro, he flew in my RV, and he went and bought a 6A.

I'm carburated, so I don't need a giant tunnel. I've started making one which is about 3.5 inches high. That gives me room to hide the battery and fuel stuff, which is all I need.

I fitted the right fuel tank today after Prosealing the new sender. For some reason the original builder had used a right-handed sender in the left tank as well, and I had bought a left and a right from Vans. So I need to buy another right one before I can fit that tank.

Once I get the fuel line assembled, this baby is ready to start. Madness.
2020 paid
Old Today, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlip View Post
I fitted the hanging rudder pedals! They were the first thing I addressed after buying the project. I screwed them up because I was having problems with the air ducts interfering with the mounts at each end, and it was a bit of a knock to the confidence. In the months after, I came up with a solution (that only mildly defaced the finish of the aircraft) and it worked well, so pretty happy.
Here are some shots of my solution:

The left bracket fitted, only just. It's wedged right up under the duct. The right bracket fouled the right duct by 1/8th inch.

So...

Chop chop chop. Not the most elegant solution, but it should look fine once I've filled it...

From inside:

2020 paid
Old Today, 12:44 AM

Tunnel is going in. I'm making this up as I go along, so pace is absolutely glacial. Lots of screw-ups.

Pretty certain the Red Cube is too close to the pump. Not sure I care that much - it's an easy fix if it's a problem.

Top cover in place. The end at the firewall does a 90-degree up to meet the recess for the prop governor. Looks neat. I'm going to run flexible hose from the pump to the gascolater.

In other news, I turned on my radio for the first time. Could hear KPSP ATIS very, very faintly. Thought it could be my AP-60 audio mixer, so I bypassed it, but nothing changed. I imagine the volume pot on my Sigtronics SPA-4S is done for. Looks like I'm in for a new intercom
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : Today at 01:18 AM.