What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving incomplete project in the SF Bay Area?

rdamazio

Well Known Member
Hi all.

I'm moving to a new house later this year and looking for recommendations on how to or who will transport my precious but still incomplete RV10 project - any suggestions? I'd rather use knowledge or services from someone who has done this before.
I have a completed empennage kit and almost-complete wings (no fuselage or engine yet) - they're in Santa Clara and will need to be moved to San Jose.

Any other tips on moving the project are also appreciated.

Thanks!

Uhaul

I moved a structurally complete Cozy IV from Petaluma to San Carlos. It was a wide load with the main spar in it, so I had to go the LONG way around. I think it was almost 150 miles by the time I was done.

For what you're doing I'd just rent a Uhaul and load, blanket, and strap everything carefully.

I drove a QB kit from Vans (OR) down to the Bay area in a U haul, arrived with no damage, so it can be done. Use lots of blankets and tie downs.

yes, rent a truck. I prefer Penske trucks to U-XXXX. They seem better shape and lower cost total. Maybe different by region.

I hauled my QB+ (7) fuse, wings, empennage a few hundred miles in a 25' truck. The wings were transported with leading edge down, HS, VS, Elevator was all flat but could be LE down too. Pillows, 4" of blankets, old mattresses, 4" foam, all work for truck floor interface. They were held to allow side to side movement but secure so they would not come loose. Bottoms packed to prevent walking on the floor in any direction. They tend to hop around. There are latch rails along the sides of the truck. I used 2X4's and deck screws to the floor unless other boxes properly prevented lateral, axial movement. Wings against the wall works, If wrapping with blankets, tape the blankets to the wings. Watch the furniture packers, that is how they do it.

With what you have, you should have no trouble.

I have heard Tony Partain (Bend, Oregon) has special trailers and has hauled many RVs with success. Not perfect apparently, but that is what insurance is for. I don't know if he is still in the business, but maybe connecting on a backhaul uptake coast might be cheaper than self moving.

EDIT: Golly, I see the distance is short. Definitely rent, much cheaper, get TONS of blankets, several (careful) helpers.

Last edited:
I used a trailer.

I moved my RV9A wings a couple of times. Once I put them in the back of my truck on the wing stands but this was pretty hairy. The best way though was using a borrowed trailer which I modified by screwing a piece of plywood to it to extend it. Then I lifted the wings, cradle and all, to it and strapped it down. I bet you can rent a similar trailer.

I made all the moves in the morning so the traffic was light and had a friend follow closely in a car to keep people off my tail. Walkie talkies helped with communication. I also picked relatively quiet back routes.

I moved them from my house in south San Jose to RHV and back and then again from my house to E16. It was pretty easy. You don't have far to go either so you'll be in good shape.

Your wingspan is 4 feet longer than mine so each wing will be presumably 2 feet longer than mine. Still, not bad. I think the trailer route is better but the U Haul is the best bet as others have suggested.

I moved the empennage on a separate trips in the back of the truck.

Good luck!

image_zpsjj5nxuvs.jpeg
[/URL]

image_zpsrmpbslmm.jpeg
[/URL]

Back