What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static Port Tubing Equal distance

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
-7 QB Slider fuselage, Dynon static ports.

Searching through the archives I've seen only a little bit about plumbing the static tubing near the ports.

My static ports are installed and I'm ready to run some tubing.

My question is:

Does the 'T' need to be equally spaced or is it acceptable to offset the 'T' for convenience.

Here's an example of each method (apologies to the builders I snatched these images from).

Like this? Nice and easy tubing run from here.

static1.jpg

Or like this, easy but the final run is a little less supported.

static2.jpg

I think under normal circumstances it makes no difference. But remember the whole reason for going up is to keep water out. If while washing you direct a hose on the port, how high up will the water go? Can it reach the lower ?T??

I think under normal circumstances it makes no difference. But remember the whole reason for going up is to keep water out. If while washing you direct a hose on the port, how high up will the water go? Can it reach the lower ?T??

I imagine if someone fails to think at all while washing the airplane and sprays a high pressure hose directly at the port from 4 inches away it could send water beyond the T, but service history of thousands of RV's seems to indicate that most people do think while washing.
There is good history indication that a system built per plans with the T over on the side , works just fine and provides an accurate static pressure value..

As it is for static pressure you do not have any "flow" so in my opinion it should not make any difference where you place the T. The T is only there to equalize the pressure when you "slip" the plane.

Per theory, the midpoint location will give the average pressure between two different pressures (slip or skid). So, that?s where I made my junction, because, well, me. The offset junction has been used successfully as well. Your choice!

Back