What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

subaru engine prop combo survey

jcaplins

Well Known Member
For those of you running a subaru engine and not on the Yahoo subenews group, I have created a quick survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QBCBMXY

Since I don't know all the combinations, I'll see how many of the "other" boxes are filled in and may create a new survey later.

Thanks,

Jeff,

Hope you get a good number of folks to share their info with you. Even though I am not a soob guy, I would like to see the results, there is a lot of valuable info there for those of us who are in over on the dark side of "experimental" aviation using "alternative" engines.

Good luck to you.

Charlie

I just LOVE my EJ-25 installation on my Jodel. Has proven extremely reliable, very powerful and smooooooooth.

Next project (once I've finished a number of other things) will be a Rocket with a supercharged EJ-25 of around 350 to 400 hp and hydraulic MT prop. Enduring the IO-320 in our -4 in the mean time... (which admittedly isn't such a bad thing either. Not as nice as a well-executed Subie conversion though)

Thanks Jeff

Thanks for posting this here. Maybe a few Subaru pilots will see it and find out about the Yahoo group.

-Andy

I've gotten 20 responses so far. I posted some of the earlier results on the other group, I'll post it all here soon.

Subenews

Groups.yahoo.com

Then search ?subenews?. You have to request to join. I?m sure the moderator will accept you. There?s lots of archives to research the collective knowledge of subaru flyers.

-Andy

21 responses.

I was limited to the number of questions to ask and you could only enter whole numbers. I made the mistake of not specifying engine vs prop rpm; most people put engine rpm, but for the few that entered prop, I converted the number to engine rpm based on what I thought your PSRU gear ratio.

So, I took the info and put it in a google doc as a simple spreadsheet. You can sort things to compare whatever you like. I have it set so anyone can edit the file, so if you would like to fine tune your fuel flow or airspeed, or add/correct things, feel free and I would appreciate it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ggoArNc6Mh2UMXEpKHW9SYfUSWZFBgecg9-a3hv4hxs/edit?usp=sharing

Interesting findings for me: My top speed is up near the top for my airframe, but fuel flow to get there is waaaay higher. I also burn 2.5 gph more to cruise at the same speed compared with other 6 cyl RV7s.

Interesting. I recognize some of the planes from the data. No surprise a turbo 7 can do 220 KTAS at altitude at 50 inches. It's producing around 240-250hp at that power setting.

Groups.yahoo.com

Then search ?subenews?. You have to request to join. I?m sure the moderator will accept you. There?s lots of archives to research the collective knowledge of subaru flyers.

-Andy

Ah, the Eggenfellner forum. I've been a member pretty much from the start.

There also used to be (and maybe still is?) Airsoob, Flysoob and late Garfield Willis' AirSIG. Lots of knowledge there...

Hans

Nice work, thanks!

It seems like I'm the only one with a hydraulic c/s prop there (and that with by far the slowest aircraft - my wood & fabric Jodel with its immense, thick wing.)

Coming from a number of electric props, on various engines, I wouldn't want to go back to these. If at all possible, select a PSRU that supports a hydraulic prop. It's worth the effort!

Hans

Back