VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #271  
Old 11-07-2018, 06:56 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroWraith View Post
Maybe I just missed it but...which canopy are you going with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilberg View Post
My bet is on a slider as the shape of the F-757 has a cut out instead of the holes.
Yep this will be a slider. For some reason the tipper just doesn't do it for me. (the manual sure makes the tipper look like a lot more work too)
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbooth View Post
Just a suggestion Jereme, you can mount the rudder cable fairing on the inside of the fuselage.... You only see the part the cable comes through. Just have to massage that hole a little bit. Doing a nice job.
Whoops sorry I missed this post back then good sir. I never thought of putting them guys inside the fuselage. Thanks for pointing this out, I will have to take a look.
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 11-08-2018, 05:49 PM
kentlik's Avatar
kentlik kentlik is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Yep this will be a slider. For some reason the tipper just doesn't do it for me. (the manual sure makes the tipper look like a lot more work too)
Slider is easy! Bing, Bang, Bomb it's done. For a pro like you, long weekend.
__________________
Kentlik
RV-7A in progress
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0527486/?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:14 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Slider is easy! Bing, Bang, Bomb it's done. For a pro like you, long weekend.
Now that is what I want to hear! haha unfortunately I can't get to this job until summer.
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:50 AM
kentlik's Avatar
kentlik kentlik is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Now that is what I want to hear! haha unfortunately I can't get to this job until summer.
That is a good idea. The extra heat of the day helped me. My frame was the hard part the gluing wasn't too bad at all. I haven't done the windscreen yet, I need a little room to finish the panel...
__________________
Kentlik
RV-7A in progress
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0527486/?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:09 AM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 631
Default

Well I have changed gears a bit but I'm still getting things done. I decided it was time to do some things in the garage pertaining to the flaps and ailerons since winter is approaching and I can work on those in the house. But first...

My first RV grin! I had to drill some holes on the front deck so I thought why not.

20181104_131705 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20181104_131152 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also quickly learned that these vents supplied in the kit are a joke. I'll be going with some Stein vents now. Unfortunataly they aren't cheap!

20181104_145221 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

What are these you ask? They are aileron stiffeners but I don't see them that way... I see them as 2 hours of deburring.

20181110_154840 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 11-11-2018, 05:08 PM
RV7ForMe RV7ForMe is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 389
Default Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post

What are these you ask? They are aileron stiffeners but I don't see them that way... I see them as 2 hours of deburring.
Uhhh.. Did those a few month ago. So much fun! But the flaps are nice part to build that do go together really quickly.
__________________
VAF dues paid until 10/2019
RV7 - Empennage 95% done
RV7 - Wings Started...
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 AM
griffg griffg is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 17
Default Firewall environment

I would like to make some comments based on the front view of your fuselage.

1. You may find it very difficult to rivet the F-7107-L, F-7107-R and F-7108A ribs to the firewall with the engine mount installed. The top two rivets on each rib are OK but the remainder lower rivets are the problem getting a rivet gun into those locations. Ask me how I know.

2. Before installing the front top skin I would suggest you complete fitting all your instruments and components to your instrument panel and back panel. Having the top skin off makes it much easier to complete the wiring as you have better access.

3. Following on from item 2 work out where you want them and then make the the holes you are going to put in the firewall for the engine wiring harnesses (e.g. EGT/CHT, oil pressure and temperature, fuel pressure, magneto leads, etc). I used the Aircraft Spruce 3/4 inch kit P/N: 09-00978 (they also come in 1/2 inch and 1 inch sizes) as they are made of steel and utilise Fire sleeve. Ease of access again is the benefit.

Enjoy the building process and post some more threads showing your progress.

Cheers,
__________________
Gordon Griffin
RV-7A under construction
VH-NAK
IO-360-M1B
Catto 3 blade prop
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 11-13-2018, 07:17 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffg View Post
I would like to make some comments based on the front view of your fuselage.

1. You may find it very difficult to rivet the F-7107-L, F-7107-R and F-7108A ribs to the firewall with the engine mount installed. The top two rivets on each rib are OK but the remainder lower rivets are the problem getting a rivet gun into those locations. Ask me how I know.

2. Before installing the front top skin I would suggest you complete fitting all your instruments and components to your instrument panel and back panel. Having the top skin off makes it much easier to complete the wiring as you have better access.

3. Following on from item 2 work out where you want them and then make the the holes you are going to put in the firewall for the engine wiring harnesses (e.g. EGT/CHT, oil pressure and temperature, fuel pressure, magneto leads, etc). I used the Aircraft Spruce 3/4 inch kit P/N: 09-00978 (they also come in 1/2 inch and 1 inch sizes) as they are made of steel and utilise Fire sleeve. Ease of access again is the benefit.

Enjoy the building process and post some more threads showing your progress.

Cheers,
Thanks for the comments Gordon! I am on the same page on 1-3. Top skin is slated to be one of the last things done so that I can do all the wiring in peace. I'm in the process now of gathering all of the stuff that needs to be placed on the firewall as I am going to fibrax it and attach what I can before I put the mount and engine one. The mount right now is only loosely held on so I can attach all of this stuff. I'm trying to get them ribs to a point where I can rivet them to the firewall. After all of this stuff goes on the firewall I can put the mount on for good. It's mainly there right now as I'm running out of room in my house to store it all.
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Emp. done
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.