What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque setting for oil screen plug Io320 D1A

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Changed the oil. But was wondering what the torque setting or tightening procedure is when using that washer with the slit and cloth inside the slit. I believe the slit side goes toward the engine block. This is a IO 320 D1A in my 9A. When I unscrew the plug will the tube screen fall out.? Thanks Ron

No torque numbers, go by angles as stated by Lycoming.

oeu.jpg

The plug you mention is most likely a 1 inch diam. by 20 threads per inch

Save the above chart for engine work and note that engine nuts/bolts are installed lubricated - unlike airframe bolts.

Last edited:
20 threads per inch - 135 degrees for every one I?ve done (copper). I put a mark on a point on the hex of the plug with a sharpie, and another mark 135 degrees in a clockwise direction on the plug. Hand tighten until full contact is made, make another sharpie mark on the case in line with the second sharpie mark, and tighten with your wrench until the first sharpie mark on the plug aligns with the mark on the case. Safety it and you?re done. Don?t forget to put the cut side of the gasket against the engine case.

Scott & Gil thanks for the supporting information. Every builder is going to need this diagram and procedures on securing that plug. Iam printing it out for my manual. Since we are here on the subject of oil I did send in a oil sample for a baseline analysis. Next question, tightening the oil filter. I can?t get a socket on the filter for a torque setting so I went on a builder suggestion in that after a coating of oil is placed on the rubber gasket of the oil filter I should tighten the filter to gasket CONTACT and then 3/4 of a turn then safety wire which what I did , seems pretty snug when I tightened the filter. Temp of gasket was air temperature of 65, I would think if it where 80?s it would have been easier to tighten as the rubber squashed. Now Jon you mentioned the asbestos. When ever I was drilling asbestos at work we sprayed with a liquid on the hole and drill and than the material was drained into a bag,sealed and shipped off for disposal. I would think there would not be a issue here since the tightening would close that or seal that opening on the washer. And it maybe a different material now. Curiosity how would one torque the filter if there?s no space for a socket? Now my buddy just bought the RIGHT ANGLE adapter for the oil filter which is pretty nice since it?s easier to torque and remove with no dripping oil. He paid $350 for that RIGHT ANGLE filter mount. Is there any cheaper or is it not a good thing to install? Maybe Lycoming or Vans can do the mod before we pick up our engine. Thanks, welcome to weigh in. Oh just a note that I bought a oil two gallon drain JUG. What?s cool about it is that it?s square tall, has a 2? cap and a liquid release lever at the bottom it?s a water jug and can be found in the display for fresh water. Then it?s real easy to drain the old oil back into the empty quart containers. The jug is CLEAR plastic. The store is a national food chain store but maybe found else where Made a drain tube for my quick drain plug. 24? of 3/8? vinyl tubing cut in 8? & 16? and put a valve in between the two pieces. The valve in bought was from a national farm supply and is used for chemical spray applications. Oh the jug cost. $9. The valve was $10. Thanks Ron in Oregon . Love flying the 9A at 8500? on the Dynon autopilot,Catto 3 blade, just saying.

Thanks Gil, changed the oil filter and removed plug and screen. Found no debris in filter screen. Have 54 Hobbs hours and 38 hours of tach time. Been two years of flying in the RV9A. Much appreciated Gil!

I can?t get a socket on the filter for a torque setting so I went on a builder suggestion in that after a coating of oil is placed on the rubber gasket of the oil filter I should tighten the filter to gasket CONTACT and then 3/4 of a turn then safety wire...
This is how I tighten mine as well. The filter says right on it to tighten 3/4 turn after contact, i've never considered using a torque wrench.

SNIP Next question, tightening the oil filter. I can?t get a socket on the filter for a torque setting so I went on a builder suggestion in that after a coating of oil is placed on the rubber gasket of the oil filter I should tighten the filter to gasket CONTACT and then 3/4 of a turn then safety wire which what I did , seems pretty snug when I tightened the filter. SNIP

I use a 1" box end wrench and a simple fish scale. It turns out that the moment arm is about 12" from the box end up to where the open end widens, so if the filter calls for 18 ft-lbs, just pull with the fish scale staying at 90 degrees from the wrench until it reads 18 lbs.

Back