What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap blocks

Normal drill bit is all you need to use. Keep good control using a drill press,and clamp the work firmly, as the drill will want to pull into the plastic as soon as it starts to cut.
Cheers,
DaveH

Last edited:
Also, it helps to drill slowly or the drill bit can wander slightly while moving through the material. Using a short drill bit helps too. If the exit holes are even slightly off centre compared to the entry holes, then getting the blocks to bolt up can be a pain due to the bolts not quite being square to the blocks/floor/support angle/nutplate sandwich.

I ended up using a lathe and a drill stock for mine, I just couldn't quite get it right using a drill press.

I was able to successfully drill the flap blocks on the drill press. It was surprisingly easy. I did drill slowly and at a slow speed. Now I have another problem. Clearance for the bolt head and the aft seat belt bracket is not sufficient. After talking to the mother ship, I will remove the seat belt brackets and take about 1/32 off their leading edge to allow the bolt head clearance to tighten down all the way.

https://douglasgeib.smugmug.com/N104MG/i-QXMkSJk

Now I have another problem. Clearance for the bolt head and the aft seat belt bracket is not sufficient. After talking to the mother ship, I will remove the seat belt brackets and take about 1/32 off their leading edge to allow the bolt head clearance to tighten down all the way.

I had the same problem. I too took a little off after exchanging emails with Van's. I used a carbide burr and took a slight scallop out of the bracket with enough room to allow a socket wrench to get on the head of the nut.

Back