What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single mag on a dual mag single shaft pad

bryanflood

Well Known Member
Question for the engine gurus out there. I was looking at a 0-540 for an rv-10. It seems like it will fit but the hang up is it has a dual mag with a single shaft. I was cnsiderng my options, not totally excited about replacing the accessory case. So here is my question:

Does a single mag fit on the same pad as a dual mag with single shaft? I was planning on running one electronic ignition anyways for my second ignition system. Seems like a long shot, but with lycomings it seems many parts are compatible.

thanks,

Bryan

It does, I'm not sure of what modifications are required. Aero Sport power built a single Bendix mag for my O360A1F6D. I couldn't find a stock mag that was a direct replacement.

EFII

Robert Paisley at EFII has a kit that will adapt his electronic ignition to the hole in the accessory case. I have an O360-A1G6D that I have put his ignitions on. I ended up going all electronic, since there isn?t another attach point for a second mag on the accessory case. While I am not flying yet, there are a few of us that are, and they seem to be very pleased with the system. Worth a look. He advertises on VAF.

Our -8A had the dual mag, but

we left the left-hand mag in place, blanked off the right side, and used an Electroair electronic ignition for the second set -- the Electroair had the pickup off the back of the flywheel ------ worked great!

Hey Bryan,
For the second ignition I would do a Lightspeed with a flywheel crank sensor, and put a P-Mag (hopefully the 6 cylinder one will be ready) or an impulse-coupled magneto on the pad. Both can be controlled with a key switch or toggles, so you won't end up with oddball switches on the panel. There are several ways you can go here so if the engine has a good pedigree and the price is right don't pass it up because of the dual-mag setup.

Dual mag fun

Thanks Mr. Hilger, was thinking similarly. Lightspeed one side and then driven mag type on the other.

RONSIM - Quick question, how did you block off one side of you dual mag? It looks like they share a common case. Do you have a pic?

Thanks,

Bryan

Back