What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tanks and Alodine (RV-8)

Tag

Well Known Member
Friend
Hello All;

Getting ready to start on fuel tanks soon and considering alodining the tanks. Has there ever been an issue with doing so? Can't seem to find much info on this, but haven't seen any negatives.

Also, does the alodine process affect the electrical conductivity properties of the metal; i.e. Capacitive Fuel Level systems?

Charlie

Alodining the tank parts will improve the adhesion of the polysulfide sealant. Most of the data sheets for polysulfide provide adhesion data for alodined surfaces as this is the industry standard in the mil-spec world.

Alodine will slightly reduce the surface conductivity of (un-oxidized) aluminum, but it will not impact capacitive fuel senders.

Good luck,

Thanks

By industry standard, are you saying that alodining fuel tanks is industry standard?

Also I just wanted to confirm that there's no chance of the alodined surface "flaking off" in the long term? I do understand that it is a chemical conversion process...

Curious why more folks aren't doing this to their fuel tanks. The only downside I can think of is the fact that it may make it more difficult for a visual inspection of the interior of the tank due to the darker color (unless using the clear alodine).

I did it, I am a true believer in chemical conversion processes on metal, especially aluminum, I think it is worth it and it wont flake off and is conductive unlike anodized.

I etched and alodined mine, too. About to start on the second tank and trying to figure out a better/smarter way to alodine the fuel tank skin without making a mess. Anybody have some good ideas?

Back