What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking over the nose

DaveO

Well Known Member
I am 5' 8 and I would like to know who if possible to configure a RV 7 so that I could see over the nose, when on the ground. Is this possible?
Is it a matter of building the seat or raising the tail? or both?
What are some of your thoughts?
Thanks
Dave

I am 5' 8 and I would like to know who if possible to configure a RV 7 so that I could see over the nose, when on the ground. Is this possible?
Thanks
Dave

I'm 5'7. I can see over the nose fine given the right set of cushions.

Not Really

Thanks
Dave

The visibility over the nose of a -7 isn't as bad as some planes but it is not as good as say the -8 is. I am 6'-3" and I sit about as high in my -7 as it is possible to do (just enough clearance above my headset to keep from banging into the canopy all the time). Visibility is pretty good but there is a bit of a blind spot to the right of center. You can get yourself to whatever height you need with the addition of seat wedges (just upholstered foam) that go under the seat cushion.
Technically, my tail is raised a bit from normal by my Bell tail fork. I doubt you could raise it additionally to really make any difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Height has absolutely nothing to do with being able to see over the nose.
By adjusting seat cushions, everyone should be at the same "eye level".
I'm 5'4", my Wife is 5'2" and we both see over the nose fine.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that it might be seats, but I wondered if raising the tail would help. I realize that the prop has to be considered when doing that. I was not sure if raising the tail was even a good thought.

Seats would be cheaper and easier.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that it might be seats, but I wondered if raising the tail would help. I realize that the prop has to be considered when doing that. I was not sure if raising the tail was even a good thought.

Yes, raising the tail DOES help. I have the "Aviation Products" tailwheel, and it definitely helps.

Yes, raising the tail DOES help. I have the "Aviation Products" tailwheel, and it definitely helps.

Yes I also have the Aviation Products tailwheel. IMHO, it raises the tail about 1.5". The Van's full swivel tailwheel was not available when I was building so the Aviation Products was the only way to get a full swivel tailwheel. There are after market tailwheel forks now available to go with Van's tailwheel so you can have the extra height without the work needed for the Aviation Products tailwheel. (The tail spring needs to be machined to a slight smaller diameter for the tailwheel mount on the Aviation Products.)

Thanks
Dave

You can see the ground, but not real close to the nose. It is all about where your eye line is located. You don't want your head too close to the canopy. Maybe a hand thickness away. Choice of headset makes a difference too. Use seat bolsters to adjust for you and the co pilot - standard procedure.

Taxi is one thing, but landing another. During 3 point landings in transition training, I had a hard time judging angle just before TD, so Mike had me lean my head against the side and look there. It worked out just fine. Not a big adjustment.

I am 68" as well.

In have the Halo headset and wear a cap and have my seat wedged up so I can see over the nose wonderfully! You have to duck a little when closing the canopy but its worth it! :D

S Taxi...

Thanks
Dave

Dave,
All above are great suggestions and should fix the problem.I really like the API tail wheel as well, had one on both my RV's and my HR2.

When all else fails, the good old "S taxi" works every time. :)

V/R
Smokey

PS: Technique: If you have a slider,open the canopy, unbuckle your seat belt and have your seat Fore-Aft adjustment set where you can stand against the rudder pedals a bit, raise yourself up and see over the nose when taxiing. Works with a tilt up as well, just can't raise up as much.

Being a former Rocket owner and having flown J-3's, The "S" taxi habit is hard to break...

I glued up some blue construction foam and cut it to a angle that supported the butt and under side of the upper leg past the stick. I did this because the needed soft foam rubber was stacked way too deep to raise me for good over the nose vision,(under the existing soft upholstered cushions), ended up compressing more and more as any flight progressed. At the end of a flight I was often 2 inches or so lower at my destination. The uneven support of the butt and thy would be manifesting as pain after an hour.

Getting the angle right is very important to comfort on extended flights, it is important that slopes upward from the rear to the front at a similar angel to where your upper legs under side is angled while seated at the controls. You do not want all of your weight to be on your tail bone: you want to evenly distribute it between the butt and the underside of the thy.

I plan to re do the ridged blue foam and cover it with a layer of glass and epoxy and paint it to match the interior. If you do this make sure you angle the cut out around the stick so that it does not interfere with the stick!

Last edited:
Back