What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Sanibel

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
11067648_10153190779464216_4735260465032985677_n.jpg

We just got back from our first trip to Sanibel Island and have fallen in love with the place.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to convince my wife -- who's not real big on flying -- to take the 7A there, and even if I had been, not being instrument rated or equipped, I'd probably be asking for trouble. I'm not sure I would have wanted to spend the 5 days worrying about the weather.

Southwest Airlines was not an enjoyable experience. All four flights were delayed or canceled. So by the end of the trip -- as we sat on a tarmac in Milwauke for the umpteenth disruption of the trip -- she revealed to me that maybe taking the 7A on such a trip wasn't such a bad idea.

Yahtzee!!!!

I'd love to go back to Sanibel sometime, but still have to work out the nuts and bolts of flying to the area.

Fort Meyers, I guess, is the obvious choice. I'm unclear what the FBO there charges, of course, but I'm just wondering if any of the locals know of other options in the area -- maybe the undiscovered "treasure" that only the locals might know of, in terms of parking a plane for a few days.

I'm back in Minnesota now. It's 18 degrees. Minnesota stinks.

Bob,
It is a nice area, especially during the cooler winter months.

For Sanibel, your best bet is flying into Page Field. I have not been there since they opened the new GA terminal, but I understand it is very nice.

There is an island north of Sanibel/Captiva, called North Captiva Island (surprise) that has an airstrip I always wanted to visit, but do not know if it is RV friendly. North Captiva is only accessible by boat or air.

Another place your wife might like (because my wife likes the area too) is Pine Island. There are a couple small airstrips on that island and is accessible from Cape Coral, not Ft. Myers.

Don't worry about the weather, if you wait a few minutes it will usually change.

N captiva great place to land

I flew there and it was great! No auto's, gulf carts, and the best beech in fla. U will love it. Armondo

What can you tell me about the facility? On the sectional on Garmin Pro it indicated that it was private (unverified) so I just assumed it was landing pad for some of the rich folks to get to their second mansion. :*)

Bob,
Punta Gorda is a RV friendly, if you want to fly your own. It is 1/2 hr. drive from there to Fort Myers.

If you do not wish to fly your own; You might consider a flight on Allegant Air. They rent cars too.

However, I do not now where Allegant Air has flights, but I do know they are expanding.

Dave

Bob,
My in-laws live in Ft Myers Beach and my vote would be to go to Page (KFMY) if you were staying for more than a day and Sanibel was your destination. I have not been to North Captiva airport so can't really comment on that, but there's no road access to the island itself which is OK if there's nothing else you want to do in the area. There would be the option to take a ferry or water taxi to Pine Island or Captiva and get a car there if you desired to do more. Hence my vote to go to Page and rent a car. Although during peak season (roughly Nov to Apr) the traffic in and around Ft Myers absolutely blows--this coming from a guy who fights Washington DC traffic M-F.

Last edited:
Bob,
We've been in and out of Page many times in our RV. We have friends in the area that we visit, and we also went back and forth several times when we were buying our "hole in the water that you pour money into" last year. The FBO is very friendly. Self-serve fuel on the other end of the field is usually some of the least expensive in the area. The FBO is absolutely OK with you buying from the self-serve pump. They have rental cars on site. I can't remember for sure, but don't believe they charged tie down fees because we bought fuel.
I've thought about flying into North Captiva, but have never gotten around to finding out if it is really "private". We did have some friends from MN spend a few days there in a rented house, and he told me the rental agency said we were free to fly in to visit them.
It is a beautiful area, for sure! If you do decide to fly down sometime, please let us know. It is about a 45 minute flight to Page and we would love to see you. I've never seen your airplane in person!

Bob

We fly down to Fort Myers all the time from Ohio. Page KFMY is your best bet for Sanibel or Captiva. Sanibel is about a 25 minute drive. I believe the North Captiva (Salty Approach) is semi private as Bill just gave a link too.

Page has good fuel prices for full and self serve. They give 3 free nights of tie down for top off. That makes Full serve if staying 3 days cheaper. Additional evening I think are $12.00. We were just there 2 weeks ago. The Line guys are great.
You can also go to Punta Gorda. Further away but a nice airport. I think you can put the airplane in a hangar if they have room. More security at Punta Gorda for getting back and forth to your airplane because they have commercial flights going in and out.

page is where you would want to go. they give free tie down for fuel purchase, I do not no how much you need to buy or for how long as i haven't tied down in years. If you are staying a few weeks, the airport will sometimes work with you on a monthly tie down space on the south side of the field.

fuel is about the cheapest in the area at the self serve pump.

north captiva is private and you need PP to land.

however, we have decided that next year all you northerners will need to stay home and just mail us the check, the traffic is killing us, and green fees have gone through the roof for the winter season :D

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
KFMY

Bob,

We have been wintering anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks on Sanibel for the past 14 years. Same condo complex on East Gulf, Loggerhead Cay. The atmosphere is unlike anywhere else on either coast, it is a special place as you have discovered.

I have considered flying a number of times, but have experienced unpleasant weather in route and was always glad to not be stuck somewhere while the condo is paid for and empty.

Ground transportation if flying in is an issue. Car rental rates in SW Florida are expensive during the winter season, the demand is high.

When retired a few days getting there doesn't matter and it is nice to have your own wheels for a month or longer.

The bottom line is Sanibel is special and it does not matter how your get there. It is a nice place to vacation and does not attract many spring break kids. That appeals to seniors. :)

Page Field is great

We go to Sanibel every New Year's. Can't beat 80 degree weather on New Year's day. I've found Page Field to be very friendly. I recall the tiedown fee and fuel cost is reasonable, and I believe they waive one night of tiedown with fuel purchase. Hertz is on field, and they will meet you at your plane with the car. The FBO has a nifty P-51 hanging inside and a T-6 outside. The only problem with Sanibel is its popularity. So, all you yankees ignore what I just said, and stay away!:D

qxs8i0.jpg
[/IMG]

We go to Sanibel every New Year's. Can't beat 80 degree weather on New Year's day. I've found Page Field to be very friendly. I recall the tiedown fee and fuel cost is reasonable, and I believe they waive one night of tiedown with fuel purchase. Hertz is on field, and they will meet you at your plane with the car. The FBO has a nifty P-51 hanging inside and a T-6 outside. The only problem with Sanibel is its popularity. So, all you yankees ignore what I just said, and stay away!:D

Snow birds bring a lot of money to Lee County, it greases the insatiable spending of local government big time. They would miss it if everyone stayed home. :)

SW Florida

Bob Collins quote "The best part about Sanibel is there apparently are no Floridians on it" ...Ya Bob Ya All Yankees come on down leave your money and don't forget to go home :D

y'all know the difference between a Yankee and a **** Yankee? a Yankee comes down to visit, a **** Yankee comes down to visit and stays! :D

Back