What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying without wheel pants...

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
A question for you folks who fly without wheel pants in the winter...

Do you need to somehow secure the gear leg fairing from "twisting"? In my -4 the fairing is fixed (against rotation) at the wheel end by the cuffs that attach to the wheel pants. I would like to be able to fly without the pants in the winter but am concerned about the gear leg fairings.

Vlad - I saw a photo of your bird on the ice at Alton Bay and wondered "What does Vlad do"?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Dean

A question for you folks who fly without wheel pants in the winter...

Do you need to somehow secure the gear leg fairing from "twisting"? In my -4 the fairing is fixed (against rotation) at the wheel end by the cuffs that attach to the wheel pants. I would like to be able to fly without the pants in the winter but am concerned about the gear leg fairings.

Vlad - I saw a photo of your bird on the ice at Alton Bay and wondered "What does Vlad do"?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Dean

Dean my leg fairings are fixed at upper intersection fairings against rotation and safety wired to them to prevent slipping down.

I just pumped expanding foam into my gear leg fairings to keep them from vibrating and moving around in flight. If I ever need to remove the fairings, it is relatively easy to scrape out the foam.

Here are some simple brackets I made up out of 063 which have worked wonderfully to keep the gear leg fairings aligned without the lower intersection fairings:

DSCN2206.JPG

DSCN2207.JPG

A hole is needed in the gear leg fairings to be able to tighten the lower hose clamp.
DSCN2210.JPG

I did something like that as well - but I like Mike's design a WHOLE lot more and I think I'll redo mine! :D

I just pumped expanding foam into my gear leg fairings to keep them from vibrating and moving around in flight. If I ever need to remove the fairings, it is relatively easy to scrape out the foam.

Probably works fine in Florida, but there has been many instances of bad rust and pitting on gear legs that had fairings filled/installed with foam.

Wouldn't that be every year for annual inspection?

Bevan

Thanks all. I think I'll give it a try. My fairings are locked from rotation on the top similar to what has been described. I wasn't sure whether or not locking at the bottom was necessary.

Besides going a bit slower, are there any handling differences that have been noted when flying without the pants?

Thanks again,

I flew mine with leg fairings and no wheel pants for 10-20 hours. Didn't notice any movement or rotation with the stock attach method (clamp up top, nothing on the bottom).

Chris

Thanks all. I think I'll give it a try. My fairings are locked from rotation on the top similar to what has been described. I wasn't sure whether or not locking at the bottom was necessary.

Besides going a bit slower, are there any handling differences that have been noted when flying without the pants?

Thanks again,

Dean - I glassed a strip of aluminum sheet to the bottom of the gear leg fairings and attached it to the gear with a hose clamp:

DSCN1874.JPG

DSCN1899.JPG

I flew mine with leg fairings and no wheel pants for 10-20 hours. Didn't notice any movement or rotation with the stock attach method (clamp up top, nothing on the bottom).

Chris

I am not flying, but made a different design inspired by Mike Bullocks tabs. I wanted more contour of contact, and thinner material to reduce the additional fairing expansion. I used .032. Do pay attention to where the attachment screws will end up. I made several as a learning experience. They are quite stiff, and the fairings can be reinstalled in the correct position if needed. No suspenders.
5_otR5452fSNOP_Tvo3wyfGhantJZORxhmAIjdnm7qscEdUAw3Y11zSv5ybes4JqV9RgpPH7s02E4Uj103Y1nunmUGJspiH8-azxWu43faBo7FpXRkcSBLGKp-Q_nlU3tL6DnzN6bddBP-2h4zbI8xU_NhwZ4OrZJZ-FEkp-ke9zgxmyDvWLNIuV-qV8LgEe2ZRWM7Q-MRDJ3HFd4rJpPJ5btvV9ygdrM-KeRnq_Lt1kAMO00cHCOq1h2p7BLAkZMBEWI1hFtcVbXtb0SpmZD6OkyLqBl9SsgQJs9ixEhJWzX-FnvibAZwn1i-v05R9Fl-J6kdidb6z4oDPo7SUlSLl6V6Xx2qFYr-idfHh0wN8pVWKSTOYp13ZklSbu43zvovCFpbIhyV2OYZMv31R4jCXz3Fdinti64QS2pCOLPy_SPvbYcEoh21iBxMoAMQP2rRHV5PrftG8ti5-6N0OF13i9x7NgyuD4poF-MckaIw8eNCUMCRxuQSf2kRaggPMgrkVH114t4vakyrVT5EUjb_VBYWNt_VFW7HD0oiQHwTG2HPToauqFP-zcyRSMwN5qVL-e-58gLG6ApARlRxafb5Z3RuadPil7RB2OghklDc-WtsbN2fU3=s723-no

Wrapped around a buck to see if all the angles are correct.
5Vc86QBmp98DCeT6dzdgK4Lpqpl68Mh2WjHOBacx9fQ2flxbtnP7Lmk6Qu26pccRXICZ508M3yLqPQH1acl3ZySifecqPebFniA2x-Y5aoaS5K6LXEWgWknby56HeA0IPND2CbCLxDnACxJkBNyDKwO1TGOFnvm_C74h_IaabeijLp-u42aS-Of5WEivhb0JlTm-ELRVYGtuyGOLg-PHyr_p51b2F814p9X8NvfIiN_Q_XknQhYlwwxR7PRtIda8Qpk_V2A2XDRBbSJg06XywJlCz5MuUQ_3yyc1cg-1fjqa4sUITgrl8a1rgspWbzkdQlkm2eg_z3atUWP7FUfHwq3kJggTSDGP1FIbipfxq7kH2woyGzEWlEvSd9AWt8LD2quO9GI9bo79DdT9gs8XU0kqRJSuWDerq2fd_G2o7M1psK-dEBq4zISOi2DStQfCI9cI_H5F7o3pXQpwOCJWED9X5R10l6FLTxYfxMnukRhboTvb6ciUOGHE3yowEua6_LaLwRhK62XkF6WZewrVv97RLSMpkF34hCGPZ2r38ynfucBNQrMZ7wguMolyJOTEaMe2rprP8owFM6PKvQSUKt_coUouXTG7hf6V2vHsP8Rg8tf3VsXA=s723-no

I am not flying yet so can not make any claims for true functionality, sorry.

Don't drop your pants...

The -8's legs don't let the fairings rotate, BUT...without the wheel pants, they will slide down and chafe the brake lines after a few loops. Attaching them to the upper fairings would be smart.

Back