What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost effective binary fuel pressure sensor?

maniago

Well Known Member
I have two 5gal aux tanks that will pump into my main wet wings. Been running all over the internet looking for a low pressure fuel switch that I can T into the feed line to tell me when the line pump runs the aux tank dry. Just some simple "there is pressure/there isnt pressure" switch that I can hook an idiot light to, to tell me to shut the pump off. Not at all keen on a diaphram/contactor style sensor as is typical for oil pressure switches. Just seems like an explosion waiting to happen when used with fuel/fuel vapor.

I also looked at optical sensors, but they are some $200+ per, and the economical plastic Honeywell ones are metric threads so no joy on a T (though I could hog one out of brass if I have to).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thats a piezo electric transducer, I'm pretty sure. It'll put out a varied voltage for a given pressure. I have no idea how to make that be a binary on/off 12v signal. I'm not a circuit guy or for sure I'd do it.

Diaphragm type switches are reliability used in aerospace applications. Stewart Warner/hobbs switches are used in many GA airplanes for fuel and oil pressure. Might give them a try.

Like the Honeywell contactor units, the Stewart Warner 5000 series only list oils and Jet fuels, not gasoline or combustible fuels. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I dont get a warm fuzzy about using them in a 100LL line.

That's a knockoff of the Kavlico; available in many different pressure ranges. Zero to ~4.5volts output at full scale. Google 'voltage comparator' to find a circuit that you can set to trip at the voltage of your choice.

Or, find an oil pressure sender for a car that uses an 'idiot light' instead of a gauge. But you'll need to run your transfer line at similar pressures to an oil pump on an engine.

Optical sensors aren't always $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEMS-ELS-950-Rugged-Series-Electro-Optic-Level-Sensor-12VDC-224506-Fluid-12V-/191634359642?hash=item2c9e4c455a:g:G~AAAOSwh2xYB90M

But...I contemplated doing it that way. If you insert it in a T fitting, the sensor T will probably need to be just above horizontal, so the fuel can cover the sensor cone while flowing, and drain away from it when the line empties.

Charlie

Check out Pillar Point... Their optical sensors work pretty well.
http://www.pillarpointelectronics.com/sensors.html

Ah, now were talking. Thanks for this. These guys are using the metal GEMS sensor that I see thats well over $200 on Mouser, but in a package deal, esp the T arrangement. Might just do the trick.

-------
Looks like these guys had at one time (2003) a controller for the Facet cube pump to do exactly what I'm talking about, but Facet changed the pump design, so Pillar went with a more generic "controller" ala their existing off board set up.........

Thanks again to DR and VAF for a great info resource.

Last edited:
I have two 5gal aux tanks that will pump into my main wet wings. Been running all over the internet looking for a low pressure fuel switch that I can T into the feed line to tell me when the line pump runs the aux tank dry. Just some simple "there is pressure/there isnt pressure" switch that I can hook an idiot light to, to tell me to shut the pump off. Not at all keen on a diaphram/contactor style sensor as is typical for oil pressure switches. Just seems like an explosion waiting to happen when used with fuel/fuel vapor.

I also looked at optical sensors, but they are some $200+ per, and the economical plastic Honeywell ones are metric threads so no joy on a T (though I could hog one out of brass if I have to).

Anyone got any ideas?

You may find something here that will work:

http://www.omega.com/subsection/opt...witches.html?gclid=CJfEh9DTrdECFdgKgQodiQ4BoA

Is there a particular pressure you are looking at for the light to come on? If not, what about one of the oil pressure switches like used for the HOBBS, I think those are set to around 5psi.

Back