What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where can I find this cable?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Does anyone know where I can find a push pull cable (for a parking brake) that has an end on it like the one in the photo? I basically need to mount the end in a small bulkhead similar to the one in the photo.

I can not find a cable with an end on it anywhere. They all come as cable that can be cut any size so there's no end for mounting-it's just the control cable sticking out of the sleeve.

Thanks...

Thanks Ray- I didn't know they made something like that. I suppose if I can't find a cable with the end on it that would still work just as well.

Interesting, are those plastic lines rated for the high pressure side of the brake system? mine are aluminum.

Yes. A lot of airplanes use those plastic brake lines and they work well. This picture is not of an RV (It's a Zenith Cruzer).

Joe, This is the cable I ordered from A/C Spruce: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a730.php?clickkey=13810

As you can see there is no real end to it for securing it. It is meant to cut and then I guess use the mount that Ray posted a link to.

That would work. But I was hoping to return this cable to Spruce and buy one with an end attached to it.

But the more I think about it though I think I'll use this one as I can cut it to the exact length I need, and then I'll buy that piece in Ray's link to secure the end. That will work well.

Got it! I misunderstood what you meant by "cable end". You need something to hold the cable housing in place, not something to attach the wire to the lever. My bad...:eek:

Interesting, are those plastic lines rated for the high pressure side of the brake system? mine are aluminum.

The Vans kit comes with and many of us use the heavy wall plastic lines from the right side to left side brakes on the side by side models. It is not uncommon to see plastic lines, I believe .063 wall on RVs as brake pressure lines.
Vans kits back in the day used these same lines all the way to the wheels but because of heat the lines would fail at the wheel cylinders so they were changed to metal.

That brass part looks like it was custom made for that set up. Pretty good idea and easy to make if you have a lathe or know someone who could make it for you. It looks like it is swedged on to the cable housing.

If you go into the ACS paper catalog, you can order just about any cable you want custom made. The online site doesn't give you all of the options available for cables. You can specify both ends and the cable housing termination.

I agree that what you have looks like a home made deal.

Back