What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to get ready for that first flight?

scrockard

So, lets suppose that you have hundreds of hours of accumulated time in C-172 and PA28-180?s. Lets also suppose that due to building and bad weather, your flying skills are rusty (but still FAA current).

What do you do for practicing proficiency in order to get ready for the first flight in an RV-9a? I'm primarily interested in the first 10 hours while new engine break in, new aircraft glitches, etc are all happening.

(let me fill in the blanks for the first three answers)

• get transition training?
  • get a buddy to let you fly their RV-9a?
  • read all of Van's articles, AC90-89, etc.
  • ?

What else do you guys do in a C-172 or PA28-180 to prepare? What skills? What proficiency tests do you practice? When do you know that you are ready?

Practice

1-Practice staying on runway centerline during all takeoffs and landings. The power and acceleration of the RV will surprise you. It is easy to head for the bushes.

2-Just about everyone drags a brake on takeoff. Don't!
When you begin the takeoff roll, place your feet on the outside of the rudder pedal frame so you can't drag a brake

3-There is no centering on the stick so you might lift off and roll into an immediate bank. Be aware

4-On landings, do not allow the nose to plop down after touchdown. Maintain the back pressure and increase it as the plane slows. The nose wheel is a taxi gear, not a landing gear!

Anyone else?

Statistically, the most likely mechancial problem that can easily kill you is an engine out - the engine will be fine, it'll be a subsystem, or lack of fuel getting to the motor. So practice, practice, practice engine outs - and do plenty of them to a full stop on a runway. The problem will be that the airplanes you mention won't drop like an RV with the engine out - so you need to get used to barely making the runway from low key - with a tight pattern.

The other thing to remember is that Transition Training is not First Flight Training. Ask yourself if you know how you react in emergency-like situations, and what your response will be. That will help you know if first flights are for you or not. It is not a big deal to have someone else do your first flight - you'll always have your own first flight in the airplane.

The last thing I tell people is that you can expect alarms and the unexpected in the early flights, - and most of the time, they will be false alarms due to instrumentation issues or incorrectly set limits. If the big fan up front is still driving the airplane, you have control, and aren't on fire, ignore the alarms. Fly the airplane. Troubleshoot it on the ground. Condition yourself to doing that every time.

Paul

You are in Oregon, get a bit of transition training from Mike Seager. THE RV man.

Have other sets of eyes look over your plane.

Make sure to test the fuel system for leaks and verify fuel flow. My DAR requested a list of info prior to his inspection, of which was a fuel flow test. This process revealed a leak in my system due to a bad flare... Which was good to get sorted out prior to first flight.

You'll find this out during transition training, but the P-factor/spiraling slipstream effect is more pronounced than in a lot of other GA planes, and RVs have very generous rudders to deal with this.

I found that the rudder was distinctly higher effort/shorter throw than the Cherokee 140s and 172s I've flown, and that it was easy to overcorrect a bit in the takeoff roll, even with trike gear. No big deal; a few takeoffs in transition training and you'll be an ace at it.

Also, know your airport and the environment around it. Find your best options for an off-airport landing on upwind, crosswind, and downwind legs. I drove around my airport looking at roads, fields, and where power lines and overpasses were. Google Earth can help a lot here.

The -9s tend to float quite a bit on landing, so be prepared to go around on your first approach if necessary.

Last edited:
Read and listen to experts !

And here are a few other things,..from a non-expert

1) ensure you are prepared to let the insurance compnay have the plane

2) do everything you can to prevent rule 1, but always be ready to invoke rule 1

Remember the AC is now up to Rev B

Plan your test cards,...print your test card,... "Walk through" your test cards,.. Now walk through cards with instruments, and indications are not indicating correctly,....alarms are going off ( in error) ,....now,.walk through and They are correct,..and you do have problems

Remember it is a short test flight,...not photo ops or,....AND ,..when you get done,..and calmed down,... Pull the cowl and take a look

And remember do it right,..and you get to go fly it again. 😀😃

First flight

All good suggestions from the VAF crew. Try to get some time in a 9A before first flight. Ideally with the eng/prop combination you have. I'm a hi-time pilot with 6A experience and found the 9A pitch sensitive at low speeds in the flare compared to other aircraft. Also it has a very good glide ratio above 75-80kts, but at around 60kts it will come down at a fairly high sink rate. It's light and powerful compared to the planes you mentioned. Be safe.

Don Broussard

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Make sure to test the fuel system for leaks and verify fuel flow. My DAR requested a list of info prior to his inspection, of which was a fuel flow test. This process revealed a leak in my system due to a bad flare... Which was good to get sorted out prior to first flight.

Even if you don't want to use the new FAA Additional Pilot rule, the engine system tests specified in AC 90-116 make a lot of sense -

b. Powerplant Testing. Powerplant testing is required prior to the initial flight and any time warranted thereafter to help ensure the reliability of the powerplant. Based on the recommendations of AC 90-89 and the industry on testing of the powerplant and fuel system, the following tests, if applicable, are required:
? Mixture and Idle Speed Check,
? Magneto Check,
? Cold Cylinder Check,
? Carburetor Heat Check,
? Fuel Flow Check,
? Unusable Fuel Check, and
? Compression Check.

c. Documented Testing. Documented testing similar to that of the build is required as proof of compliance. This includes appropriate logbook entries with test results. Photographs and diagrams should also be provided for tests where the applicant deems them beneficial or necessary.
d. Changes to Fuel System. Any change to the fuel system after conducting the fuel flow tests, except for normal fuel system/filter maintenance, requires a repeat of the tests prior to additional flight. All tests, including repeated tests, require documentation.

d. Changes to Fuel System. Any change to the fuel system after conducting the fuel flow tests, except for normal fuel system/filter maintenance, requires a repeat of the tests prior to additional flight. All tests, including repeated tests, require documentation.

Everyone of these suggestions are excellent - thank you. It helps to have these idea collected again into a single thread...

Float problem and what to expect for slowing down this plane: I've got a 3500' runway so this float factor is heavy on my mind. I expect the RV-9a to hardly slow down as compared to a C-172. If you carry excess speed entering download for instance, can you burn it off before final in this plane?

What will flaps feel like in this plane? Will flaps slow things down much while in the pattern?

I'll add one I don't think has been mentioned.

Hire a test pilot.

Tom Berge did my first flight. He's one of the most experienced RVers I know (I also could've used Doug Weiler, who is equally capable).

The question is is the plane's first flight intended to test the plane or test the pilot?

I opted to make it a test of the plane. A test of the pilot was for flight #2.

Have Ground Support!

As previously noted, the P factor is not what you are use to...so be ready with that right rudder.
Have someone on the ground take notes for you as you call out CHT's, EGT's, fuel pressure, oil temps, oil pressures, etc. Fire extinguisher and canopy smashing hammer close by you, in that unlikely event.....

Last edited:
Everyone of these suggestions are excellent - thank you. It helps to have these idea collected again into a single thread...

Float problem and what to expect for slowing down this plane: I've got a 3500' runway so this float factor is heavy on my mind. I expect the RV-9a to hardly slow down as compared to a C-172. If you carry excess speed entering download for instance, can you burn it off before final in this plane?

What will flaps feel like in this plane? Will flaps slow things down much while in the pattern?

There is more p-factor on takeoff - just add power slowly and you will have more time to ease onto the rudder.

You have plenty of runway, just remember that if something is off, a go-around is easy, and the 9A will climb out fast even with full flaps. Just be ready to re-trim.

As for speed, yes it will take longer to slow down. I usually just get to pattern altitude a little ways before entering the pattern, giving me time to slow down. If you want to remain high and near the field on your first flights, you can just slow it down as your orbit above the pattern before descending into it. After you get the first 10 degrees of flaps at 90 knots, it is easier to slow down to 80 knots for the rest of the flaps.

During your first flight I assume you will do a flull-flap stall or two, which should give you a good idea of stall speed. I found my full-flap stall was at roughly 44 KIAS, which I mentally multiplied by 1.3 to give me an apr 60 KIAS approach speed. That worked fine, but now I actually use 65 KIAS on final until over the fence when I slow it down to 60 KIAS. That gives me a little less sink on final and avoids too much float on landing. Just fly it to 1-2' above the runway and hold it off. It is fairly pitch sensitive, so relax the death grip on the stick and just ease it back. As Jan told me, "don't flare, just arrest the descent". It will land itself and you'll look like a pro.

I was a little nervous until starting the takeoff roll, then it felt just like any other airplane and I just enjoyed the flight. You will too.

Chris

First flight

Use some strips of colored tape to temporarily mark the airspeed for normal approach speed, best rate of climb and cruise climb.
Fly the airplane. NO ONE on the ground talking to you unless you have a specific request. The more people involved the more distraction. Two people on the ground is optimal for me.
Fire truck on standby if available.
Fire extinguisher in the airplane and at least one more for your ground crew.
Make sure that everyone knows how to properly use a fire extinguisher.
A few weeks ago I watched a person burn, trapped in a car. The fire for most of ten minutes was near the engine and very small. Multiple attempts by as many as 10/12 people with fire extinguishers failed. All or most were directing the extinguisher over the top of the fire. The vehicle was totally engulfed in flames about a minute before the fire trucks arrived.
Before the first flight put a wrench on EVERY fuel and oil fitting and then have another qualified person repeat. Special attention to the fittings on the engine driven fuel pump. WAY to many RV/Rocket crashes/incidents from loose fuel lines. Most at the fuel pump.
After the first flight, at least the top cowl off for the first few flights and the bottom cowl off at least once.

Prepare yourself mentally.
Sit in your airplane, close your eyes. Practice finding and touching every knob, switch, and button until you can find it without looking. Keep practicing until your muscle memory and brain take you to it every time.
Practice your instrument scans. Get a routine down and sequence you follow every time.
Memorize your emergency procedures, especially engine out.

When you can execute your procedures by memory, and touch with minimal hunting for knobs and your scan is routine and flows without thought, you will be ready to deal with an emergency.

An emergency situation boggles the mind and simple things that require thought become much more difficult. History is riddled with stories of experienced pilots forgetting simple things in an emergency. If you prepare as above, your odds of dealing with something are much better.

Good luck and have fun. The first flight is still one of the great experiences any builder can have and I will always remember mine.

Last edited:
I just re-read AC 90-116 Additional Pilot Program for Phase I Flight Test again. It has some pretty clear criteria about currency requirements and more... This is an interesting Advisory Circular. I could probably find some help there if I choose that route.

I frankly find a second test pilot a repugnant idea mainly because if I'm not ready for the first flight, then what magically changes to make me ready on the second flight and beyond? I'll make this decision as I get closer to first flight - I haven't ruled this out yet. Until then, currency from a test pilot viewpoint is my goal. Doing all the required ground based fuel flow, systems checks, etc are of coarse additional goals too.

So the next time it's actually good enough weather to fly - what are the practice scenarios which actually do the most good while practicing in a much lower performance aircraft?

What do you do - write an application that picks a random emergency to simulate which you have to address? Practice full stall wheel landings at specific spots on the runway? Slow flight proficiency? All of the above?
The Private Airman Certification Standards is 77+ pages now.

What drills do you guys do in order to remove the airman rust?

One other thing not mentioned - find an EAA Flight Advisor in your area, buy him lunch or at least a cup of coffee, and talk about your experience and readiness one on one, without the publicity of a forum post. FA's are volunteers, generally pretty experienced, and are free - how can you pass up a program like that?

Do not do any high speed Taxi's. Many pilots found themselves flying when they did not intend to do so. Could be a problem.
The second thing to do is pray.:)
Dave

Here's what I suggest, and was taught by my transition instructor:

Slow it down before entering the pattern, and get full flaps in. Fly the whole pattern at 75 kts or so, with gentle bank angles, and then shoot for about 65 kts over the fence. As you get more experience, you can play with as low as 60 kts over the fence, but as Don mentioned earlier the sink rate will be considerably more. For the first flight, it will reduce the workload quite a bit!

Since Vfe is relatively low at 78 kts, the art is in pitching the nose up, retrimming, and reducing power to slow 'er down while holding altitude until you can deploy flaps. At solo weight, I might feed in 10 degrees at 82-83 kts; after adding trim it'll take me down to 78, where I can fully deploy them.

Normal GA trainers are so draggy that they seem to reach Vfe without too much thought, but our RVs are more slippery, so we have to think ahead a little more.

I find myself reducing power more on the base leg, and pointing the nose down to lose some altitude, where the Piper Cherokee I flew recently seemed to sink on its own with power reduction.

One thing that was a little spooky with the -9A at first was how light the controls became when down at 65 or 70 KIAS. Perfectly normal. If you've tested the stall and it's 43 KIAS, you've still got a very healthy margin above that. The Cherokee's controls lighten up a little at those speeds, but not as pronounced as the -9A's.

You should be fine with 3500' of runway. On my first landing I had about 3800' to work with, landed a little long and safely got 'er stopped with at least 500' remaining. Just go around if it doesn't feel right.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited:
If you have not flown in some time, the first thing is proficiency. Get proficient (not just current).

Will you be flying it out of Mulino? If so, keep in mind you have Aurora quite close and could take advantage of that bigger runway if needed, as well.

I believe there are a few folks over that way that can help provide some useful advice in conversational form. Or, check with some of the RV pilots from EAA 105 (drop me a line if you would like me to connect you with someone - I'm on the west side of Portland). For an actual EAA Flight Advisor as Paul mentioned, you might give Gary Brown a call -- he is down at Independence.

I have nothing I can contribute regarding preparation for the aircraft's first flight, but have some insights with regard to transition from Cherokees and 172's. I had a handful of 172 hours, but several hundred Cherokee hours before getting my 6A, so that is where I will focus my comments.

Takeoff: Faster acceleration than you are used to, and of course no steerable nosewheel! If you haven't got any time with a castering nosewheel, and aren't able to get transition training in a nosewheel RV (definitely should be the first choice) I would strongly suggest trying to get some time in a Grumman to get familiar with the ground handling. They are a pretty good approximation. Lighten the nosewheel as early as possible in the takeoff run and maintain steady back pressure to let the plane fly off by itself; it is very easy to over-rotate on liftoff, particularly if the last airplane you flew was a Cessna or Cherokee (or Grumman) that required a firm pull to rotate and get off the runway. RV's are much more sensitive and require far less effort in pitch than the planes you are used to, and in my opinion the easiest way to make the transition is to basically use soft field technique and maybe trim a bit nose down. Even so, deck angle can get alarming quickly when you're used to the sedate departure of a Cherokee, so you should expect to start trimming the nose down quite quickly after leaving the runway to keep things comfortable in any case.

Once in flight the RV is a very honest airplane; it is way more responsive and lighter on the controls in both pitch and roll than the airplanes you are used to, but is also very stable and positive, which makes the adjustment very easy. Personally I did not experience any issues with overcontrolling on my first RV flight, and I'm no Bob Hoover, so that should apply to anyone.

As others have noted, the RV will be much more reluctant to slow down than a Cherokee, and you will have more slowing down to do to reach landing speeds, so I agree with all those who have mentioned the necessity of planning in advance and starting your deceleration much further back than you're used to. I used to maintain cruise power until mid-downwind in my Cherokee 180, and even in my Grumman Tiger I rarely reduced power until I was established on downwind. In my RV (with fixed pitch prop) I start slowing down about 5 miles away from the airport and by the time I turn downwind after joining from a midfield crosswind (I'm in Canada and that is our normal prescribed circuit entry) I want to be no more than 10 knots over putting out the first notch of flap.

Others have discussed being prepared for a greater sink rate. If I understand the differences between the 9 and the 6 correctly (and I might not, having never flown in a 9) I would expect the 9 to have a less brick-like power off sink rate than my 6, and my experience has been that this is one area where a Hershey bar Cherokee and my 6A are actually fairly comparable; both like to sink pretty rapidly when you pull the power back, and both are very different in that respect than the 172. The later tapered wing on the Warrior and later Archers would be somewhere in between.

I can't comment with any authority with regard to float in a 9A; my first landing in my 6A was on a 3000' runway and I made the midfield turnoff fairly easily; with the lower landing speed of the 9A I don't think you should have any trouble with 3500'.

With regard to who should be the pilot for the airplane's first flight and the type of preparation, planning, and transition training necessary to be that pilot, I would listen to the experienced builders and test pilots on the board; many of the opinions they express have been learned the hard way, either by themselves or by friends and acquaintances, some of whom aren't here to pass the lessons on themselves. Food for thought!

First flight

Scott
Congratulations on being ready for FF!
It's been a long time coming

Let me join the chorus strongly recommending transition training. You are right here where you can get it from Mike Seeger. He can do it in the 9A

Nothing else will really prepare you.

As you will likely be flying out of Mulino you have a good field and access to a deep support group.

Let me know if I can help. I am at 7S9 and have 600 hrs + on my 9A

Jim Frisbie
Tech Counselor

I frankly find a second test pilot a repugnant idea mainly because if I'm not ready for the first flight, then what magically changes to make me ready on the second flight and beyond? I'll make this decision as I get closer to first flight - I haven't ruled this out yet. Until then, currency from a test pilot viewpoint is my goal. Doing all the required ground based fuel flow, systems checks, etc are of coarse additional goals too.

Nothing. You won't have the skills and experience until sometime after your transition training. Worse, you may not be mentally prepared to give up on your new baby even if you need to. A recent RV-10 accident (not first flight but very low hours) informs this. I was lucky enough to have Brad Ransom (AZTAILWIND) do my transition in his RV-6A while he did the first 10 hours in mine, doing the engine break-in. When I finally flew my airplane for the first time, it did not surprise me because I'd already gotten familiar with the type but also because the most critical first hours had been flown by someone with experience and the initial squawks had been dealt with. Even so, the remaining hours of Phase I were still approached carefully. The issue is not your skills as an airman but your emotional investment in the first flight of your aircraft. It's just another form of get-there-itis.

First flights

Wear a helmet. My hangar mate died in a hard landing this past January. He was on the first flight of his Onex. The engine seized. He hit his head on the side of the canopy and died 10 days later. I am currently in the test flight phase of an RV-3 and have worn a helmet on every flight. I'm actually starting to like wearing it.

Back