What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Control Bracket

NorthernRV4

Well Known Member
Hey guys

So I made an error when I laid out the rivet spacing for my inboard rib flap rib. Instead of [email protected]" rivets I laid out [email protected]" spacing. Unfortunately I didn't realize I had made the error until the everything was drilled so now I'm looking for some advice. Due to the blind access, these rivets must be pull type and the plans call out CS4-4 carbon steel type rivets. I could drill 2-3 extra holes at 5/8" spacing to the current ones or would a stronger rivet like a Cherry Max be a sufficient choice here instead of the CS4-4? The loading is such that the bracket pushes on the inside of the rib flange when extending the flaps so the stress on these rivets is only when the flap is retracted up against the fuselage. More likely the worst stress they would see is if someone accidentally stepped on the flap (had to be the port flap too :() their weight would put these rivets in tension, I cringe at the thought of it though for various reasons.

Flap control bracket by James Soutar, on Flickr

Just add one

Extra rivets never hurts (as long as minimum space is not exceeded -- here a minimum of 3/8").

Perhaps in this case just adding one may be enough as those rivets probably see more shear than tension forces.

But of course every one of us is going to lay down on our backs and look at the underside of your flap and go tsk, tsk! :)

Finn

Back