What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a permanent T-Hangar ASAP

txaviator

Well Known Member
Thanks in advance for any leads you may be able to provide. OK, this isn't a need for an RV hangar specifically, but...just to make this RV related, I finally took some of Jay Pratt's (Mr. RV Central) advice and bought a flying C-140!

I need to fly NOW, versus waiting for eternity whenever I may have the time to finish the RV. I bought a C-140 out of Minnesota, and I will have it ferried down here sometime after Thanksgiving. My problem is that I need to find an airport/hangar NOW, so that I can tell the fella where to land:)

I am in Arlington, Texas, and for now, Arlington Muni and Grand Prairie are ruled out. Both have long waiting lists and are very pricey. I went and checked out Sycamore in south Fort Worth, but they are full, and don't have any T-hangars with doors (even if they had spots open). I have heard about a strip called Benjamin Franklin out of Godley, TX that may have space. But it is a bit of a drive from Arlington.

I prefer a T-hangar, single plane of course, so I don't interfere with anyone else. However, all ideas are appreciated and welcomed! I spoke to Jay Pratt about possible hangars at Hicks, but he said he didn't have a good grasp on what may be available there.

Any ideas? This forum is a great source of knowledge, so I figured you'll may be able to help? Also, if anyone knows of any tailwheel CFI's in the area, that would be a positive if I could base the new plane at their local strip.

Thanks in advance for any tips / leads.

Last edited:
If you need something right away, try RBD. It's not that close, but they have historically had hangars available when the economy was better; they are probably still available today. You can stay on the waiting list for GKY or GPM. I'm not sure about FWS.

As for price, I'm not sure what your expectations are, but I doubt you'll find much for less than $250 and probably more than that.

TODR

NW Regional

I think a T-hanger came available at 52F Northwest Regional a week or so ago. There was a small sign along the taxiway last weekend. $250 seems to be the going rate for hanger space for an RV in a big hanger around here but I don't know about T-hangers or if space for a C-140 would be more or less.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/52F

I know that is a bit of a drive from Arlington but it may be an option.

My 2 cents worth

GPM is the cheapest in the area. I'm paying $195 for my enclosed T-Hangar. I do understand where you are coming from. I am from Indy and paid $70-$75 for a nice open T-Hangar on a grass strip. Had sticker shock when I moved to DFW area. However, I have learned that they are by far cheaper here then what most of my friends are paying in other parts of the country.

I would also check Cleburne airport. When I was looking three years ago they were running cheaper then everbody else at the time.

Spinks

I think Spinks (KFWS) may have some hangar space available. Also, I am at Sycamore. You might be able to squeeze it in my hangar with my Bonanza. It's an open hangar, but the opening is to the South, while storms generally come from the Northwest. Call Ron Gyure at Sycamore, or get in touch with me, and we can see if it works.

Last edited:
Gary,

Some airports will tell you they have a long waiting list, but its not quite as it seems ... Try asking about a patio hangar or a tie down. Once you are an airport resident most will let you apply to "up-grade your facilities" straight away and to jump the "3 year" waiting list. A few years ago it took me 2 months to get a hangar at GPM after taking a patio hangar.

I don't think the rent is expensive, 20A of power, restroom close by, garbage collections from the end of the hangar row, oil disposal on field, etc.

Pete

Gary,

I think we have a couple of T-hangars here at Parker County (KWEA). They are not the most beautiful, but the location is easy in and out. Month to month rate is $150. There have been a lot of improvements at the airport in the last 1 1/2 years and the FBO staff is great.

In case you are interested in buying a hangar lot WEA has 30 acres platted for new owner built hangars.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for the replies, and I apologize that it has been awhile since I checked this post! (on a footnote, this is THE busiest month of the year for my business, so my apologies for my lack of response).

I appreciate all of your offers to help, suggestions, make room in your hangars, etc. Also, thanks to Jay Pratt for calling and telling me "Just get your airplane here and we WILL find room".

Here's what I have decided to do....I am going to base the C-140 @ Fort Worth Spinks for the next few months. This will allow me to get some tailwheel training from a highly recommended CFI over there, since he is also based on the field. They found me a front parking spot, inside a community hangar that also houses an avionics business. In addition, it is only about 10-12 minutes from my office.

After gathering the T/W training I am seeking, I will most likely be looking to find a permanent hangar somewhere else in the DFW area.

You all are the best, and again, thanks for your input! Wish me luck on the first A/C purchase:)

Thanks again,

Back