What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

#10 screw dimple die loan???

dwranda

Well Known Member
I am building the canopy on my 9A and the little block that holds the strut is held on with #10 screws. I have to dimple the skin for these 4 screws and I don't have a #10 dimple die. I really don't want to spend the nearly $50 at Cleaveland tool for this since I will only use it on 4 holes. I'm out of ideas on finding one. Would someone be willing to throw it in an envelope and loan me one for a day? I even tried to enlarge a #8 dimple on some scrap but didn't like how it was turning out.

I am building the canopy on my 9A and the little block that holds the strut is held on with #10 screws. I have to dimple the skin for these 4 screws and I don't have a #10 dimple die. I really don't want to spend the nearly $50 at Cleaveland tool for this since I will only use it on 4 holes. I'm out of ideas on finding one. Would someone be willing to throw it in an envelope and loan me one for a day? I even tried to enlarge a #8 dimple on some scrap but didn't like how it was turning out.

Pretty sure I have a 3/16 dimple die set but won't be at the hangar until Sunday at the earliest. My set would be this brand, which if you wish to purchase a similar one from them is significantly cheaper than Cleaveland's.

https://www.yardstore.com/dimple-die-set-3-16-male-female

Shoot me a PM if interested in borrowing. Purchasing might be almost as cheap as 2-way shipping though....

It's been a long time since I did that step; what's the access like? If you have a scrap piece of steel that will fit on the back side, you can make a female die. Drill it #30, countersink to the width of the screw head with your regular countersink, and then to a sliding fit on the screw. You can then use a spare screw & your rivet set to dimple. Scrap aluminum sheet will protect the face of the mushroom set, if that's a concern.

If you size the parts correctly, you can even squeeze it with your squeezer.

Charlie

Brown Tool lists them for $25.95, ATS for $29.95

Or you could consider these options:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=2287 http://www.experimentalaero.com/Builders Tips.htm

I have a 3/16" dimple die set you can borrow. Not sure it would make it there in an envelope though. Maybe if I can find a little box or bottle that will ship...

I would need it back soon though.

I'm going to try this. If I'm understanding this correctly it's basically just making the female portion of the die and then using a screw as the male portion of the die. Is that right?

It's been a long time since I did that step; what's
the access like? If you have a scrap piece of steel that will fit on the back side, you can make a female die. Drill it #30, countersink to the width of the screw head with your regular countersink, and then to a sliding fit on the screw. You can then use a spare screw & your rivet set to dimple. Scrap aluminum sheet will protect the face of the mushroom set, if that's a concern.

If you size the parts correctly, you can even squeeze it with your squeezer.

Charlie

Correct. Obviously won't make a perfectly crisp dimple like a springback die, but it will be quite serviceable. Some risk to your mushroom set or squeezer set, but that risk can be minimized with clean aluminum or (better), steel sheet between the screw head & set.

I've used the same trick to make rivet dimples when I needed to make one in an already-finished part.

Charlie

Back