What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch partial panel upgrade

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I have dual GDU 370's right now. I'm thinking of upgrade to touch because I really like the intuitive touch experience. I can justify $2-ish-thousand to upgrade just one GDU 470, but I have a hard time removing both and going 460.

So, should I remove both 370s and go single 460 losing display redundancy, costing $3-ish-thousand or is just upgrading one 470 just as good. And if I upgrade one, which side makes more sense, the PFD or the MFD?

Also... if anyone has done this, are the GDU connectors compatible? I can scroll through the install manual and figure it out... but yeah, it's 400 pages.

Thanks!

-Bruce

I upgraded my panel from dual 370's to dual 470's, other than some minor work to make the new screens fit and some setup, it's plug n play.

Selling the 370's help offset the cost a bit, would I do it again.. absolutely, l love the Touches!

Another benefit is the touch supports 'connext' so now foreflight shares flight plans with both the G3X and the 650.

Last edited:
I upgraded my panel from dual 370's to dual 470's, other than some minor work to make the new screens fit and some setup, it's plug n play.

Selling the 370's help offset the cost a bit, would I do it again.. absolutely, l love the Touches!

Another benefit is the touch supports 'connext' so now foreflight shares flight plans with both the G3X and the 650.

Walt,

Can you share what panel mods are required to make the swap? It looks like maybe just rounding out the corners a bit?? Reason I ask is that my panel has a clear coat over the paint and even drilling through that clear coat breaks that seal and raises heck with the clear coat. I?d feel OK about a little Dremel work on the corners but fearful of much beyond that...

Walt,

Can you share what panel mods are required to make the swap? It looks like maybe just rounding out the corners a bit?? Reason I ask is that my panel has a clear coat over the paint and even drilling through that clear coat breaks that seal and raises heck with the clear coat. I?d feel OK about a little Dremel work on the corners but fearful of much beyond that...

Basically the 4 attach holes move about .2" out and the four corners get relieved about the same amount. Garmin provides a steel drill guide to locate the new holes using the same rivet holes that the old mount ring used. You basically end up with some elonged holes in the corners then you rivet the new mount ring on. The good news is it gets covered by the screen bezel if you're careful.

What was the net-net damage?

Back