What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rubber Radio Booties Keep Breaking

Is there a better rubber bootie available for the radio switch at the top of my RV12 stick, or failing that someplace where I can get them in quantity at a reasonable price. They seem to last just over a year before breaking.

I'm not sure what exactly the mighty -12 uses, but I find, generally, the PTT switches on both spam cans and even some otherwise beautiful birds to be a bit lacking.

If you can replace the switch completely, I'd suggest a OTTO P1 (Mil Grade MIL-PRF-8805/3) style switch. Nice and beefy, great action and feel. Will outlast the plane, easily.

What my mighty -12 used looked (before it disappeared) like a black pencil eraser. I'll look up the OTTO for a rainy day project.

My experience is that they will last for a long time if people can avoid kicking them with feet climbing in and out. When that happens, they will tear very quickly.
I don't know of another source to buy just the cover.

Protect them during build

My experience is that they will last for a long time if people can avoid kicking them with feet climbing in and out. When that happens, they will tear very quickly.
I don't know of another source to buy just the cover.

Good point Scott.
My pilot side button cover was gone well before first flight.
How about after we install them, recommending we tape a paper cup or cardboard tube over top of the grips during the build? That would protect them while we're climbing in and out, reaching in over the sticks, and so on.

Back