What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which pitch for a 2-Blade Catto on a IO-360 RV-7A?

swisseagle

Well Known Member
Hello all

By buddy is flying his RV-7A since now two year. The take off is ok, but it seems the prop is overpitched (Sensenich metal FP 85" pitch).

Anyhow, he would like to change to a Catto 2-Blade prop 2014 design (saving weight, silence the cruise, improve TO and climb).
Now the big question, which pitch setting he should order?

Here is his setup:

RV-7A
TMX-IO-360 Red Gold
Horizontal Induction
2x Bendix Magnetos
Cruising RPM 2400-2500

Homebase Airport is at 1'300ft
Flying mostly between 5'000-8'000ft
Long distance cruising 10'000-12'000ft
Crossing the Alps (Mountain-Chain) up to 13'500ft

Any recommendation is welcomed!

Email Craig

A quick email to Craig Catto will get you exactly the information you need. If anyone knows the right combination of power and pitch for your needs, on his props, it'll be him.

A quick email to Craig Catto will get you exactly the information you need. If anyone knows the right combination of power and pitch for your needs, on his props, it'll be him.

I agree! He is as good as it gets, and a great guy to boot. Thanks, Allan..:D

I just put a three blade catto on my rv 6. So much quieter Dont feel like I gave up much in the way of climb out and I'm cruising faster. Call Craig tell him what you want and he will deliver.

Go with whatever Craig tells you snd don't worry about the pitch number. All the custom prop makers derive their pich numbers differently, making it very difficult to compare them.

Answer from Craig

Hello

I was chatting with Craig, here is his recomendation:

Yes, it would be our 72x74 that we would recommend. The static rpm on this propeller is just at 2300rpm.
As you increase in airspeed down the runway the rpm will come up even more. At 110kts climb speed the rpm is 2450 and will give the RV-7A a very healthy climb rate!

For cruise 2450rpm is about 155kts.

I know this propeller would be a big improvement over the metal propeller he is using now.

We follow this and placed an order.

Thank you for all your inputs!

Back