What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro mounted in RV-12?

txaviator

Well Known Member
I am surely nowhere near first flight, but as I button up the cockpit I'd like to go ahead and fabricate a mount for my GoPro camera. My parents bought me a nice one for Christmas last year, and for those of you that have done this in an RV-12, where's the best mounting location? I'm thinking on the rollbar somehow? Or perhaps better yet, a mount on the bulkhead back above the tank?

I'd appreciate your input if you've mounted one in your -12. Thanks!

Hi Gary ,

I will post a picture of a simple clamp mechanism for attachment to the rollbar when I get to the hangar tomorrow.

The cockpit video of my first flight was taken using the GoPro attached to the rollbar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiEasiXeKyo

I have not tried any other mounting locations yet but I think the rear bulkhead location won't provide much of a view.

The in-camera battery will not provide but one hour of recording time at 1080p so I am now using the BacPac accessory battery sold by GoPro to extend the time.

Thanks, Tom. That's a great video. Don't know how I missed it if you posted it before!

That's the exact view I'm looking for. Thanks for sending camera location photos when you can!

Oh, and a great tip on the battery backup. I'll need to get one for sure.

Mount

Hello, We used a inspection plate on the bottom of the plane. Take one of the mounts and four nut plates, match drill the mount and install nut plates and your ready to video. Some videos can be found at November 328 kilo lima on you tube or Facebook. Works great.

The GoPro suction mount is plenty stout and can be affixed to the canopy about where the passenger's head would be. Just configure the camera for inverted recording. This mount position permits shooting in just about any azimuth.

The rollbar mount works well on the handhold on the wingtips. Couple of tiewraps for security's sake. Double-check the remote function before you blast off.

Anybody figured out how to make the camera coordinate better with the prop so it isn't swinging crazily?

Jim
RV-12 #264 flying since 2010

prop rotation freeze and mounting scheme

The GoPro suction mount is plenty stout and can be affixed to the canopy about where the passenger's head would be. Just configure the camera for inverted recording. This mount position permits shooting in just about any azimuth.

The rollbar mount works well on the handhold on the wingtips. Couple of tiewraps for security's sake. Double-check the remote function before you blast off.

Anybody figured out how to make the camera coordinate better with the prop so it isn't swinging crazily?

Jim
RV-12 #264 flying since 2010

I haven't tried it yet (I have a Contour +2 camera), but supposedly I can obtain a neutral-density filter (at an outrageously inflated price, considering it is just an appropriately-sized piece of tinted mylar) that can be (in the Contour's case) placed between the lens and the flat cover plate.l This causes the camera to effectively slow down its (electronic) shutter, thereby blurring the prop such that it appears transparent.

For my camera mounting, I would have liked to use a RAM mount that consists of a U-channel with a couple of tightening screws and a 1" RAM ball. However that stock mount can handle only about a 1" thick clamping width, and the roll bar is closer to 1-1/4". I therefore had to fabricate my own out of some 1/4" thick aluminum channel (cut from a 3"x3" square tube. This clamp can then be placed anywhere on the roll bar (as long as it doesn't conflict with the canopy latch handle, and the RAM ball connected to a similar 1" ball screwed into the camera via its 1/4-20 screw hole. I'd post some pictures, but I'm steadfastly avoiding the 105+ degree hangar temperature here.

I agree the GoPro suction cup works very well. Once I installed the Koger sunshade my favorite location for the suction cup was no longer available.

I found a youtube video modifying a Home Depot clamp and I am happy with the simplicity and location even when the sunshade is fully open.

Back