What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming 0320-B1B compatibility ?

captainapache

I'm New Here
Hello,

I am parting out a Piper Apache and have a 16 hour SMOH Lycoming 0320 B1B 160 hp to sell very reasonably. I have had questions from RV builders regarding Vertical Risers.

My research to date shows that some of the RV's need the engine with the carb intake forward of the center of the oil sump due to gear clearance? Am I on the right track?

Thank you,

John

carb placement

Yes, the O-320 B series has issues when used on the trike model RV's. I was able to get a replacement oil sump on mine that works fine. If it is going on a tailwheel model, no issues at all.

Yes, tricycles MAY have an issue. I have a B2B in my 9A and I swapped over the oil pan to move things forward for clearance. This also involves changing the oil pickup inside and the intake tubes. Actually, it wasn't a big deal.

The reason that I say it MAY be an issue is that I have the Sam James air box for my carburated engine. After all was said and done, it sure looks to me that I may have been ok leaving the carb where it was. Now, I haven't taken any detailed measurements or anything like that because the deed is done and it all works.

If a Van's air box is used, yes, it sounds like it would interfere in the tricycle configuration.

Just another data point.

Back