What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static Port

D&M Dan

Well Known Member
I have noticed after installing both static ports (rivets) that the tubing attachment directions call for securing with clear silicone sealant. After letting dry over night both connections to the ports were not very secure. It appears the silicone sealant does not bond well to the tubing.
Have any of you found this problem also? I think it may be a problem trying to reattach these tubes later should they fall off or become loose.
Is there any reason we cannot use Aircraft Spruce static ports. They have a non slip tubing connection.
Thanks for your input.:)

If you are building E-LSA...

Is there any reason we cannot use Aircraft Spruce static ports. They have a non slip tubing connection.
Thanks for your input.:)
The aircraft must be built EXACTLY per plans with no changes!

If you let the silicone sit for a few days it makes a good connection. Make sure you do not get silicone in the hole.

Static Ports

From post #1 above "Is there any reason we cannot use Aircraft Spruce static ports. They have a non slip tubing connection."

This was not addressed in the responses. Is there any reason not to use Aircraft Spruce type static ports?

Even with silicone around the base I'm not overly happy with this connection.

Jim D

Scotch Weld

I used Scotch Weld and glued the static port rivets in place, instead of squeezing it with the puller half way. Like that the plastic tube slips over a longer end and results in better adhesion with silicone.
As far as I know, other builders did the same for that reason.

From post #1 above "Is there any reason we cannot use Aircraft Spruce static ports. They have a non slip tubing connection."
This was not addressed in the responses. Is there any reason not to use Aircraft Spruce type static ports?
Even with silicone around the base I'm not overly happy with this connection.
Jim D

As stated in post 2, If you are building as ELSA, you may NOT deviate from the plans. The aircraft must be built IAW the plans with no changes.

Static Ports

Mel, I'm in UK. ELSA does not apply. Just wanted to know if there is any other reason for not using them.

Regards,

Jim D

I had the same problem with silicone sealant. Removed the sealant and used pro-seal instead, sticks very well to the tubing.

Mel, I'm in UK. ELSA does not apply. Just wanted to know if there is any other reason for not using them.
Regards,
Jim D

Sorry. The original poster is in New York. If ELSA rules don't apply there should be no reason you can't use the alternate parts.

Back