What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Rotax technician in South Florida?

jdelpeso

After the first flight in late November the E-LSA RV-12 is in my home garage
I have to comply with the carbs float bouyancy SB before fly
I have sent 6 emails to Rotax technician in this area requesting assistance. Only 2 of them answered and they can?t do the job
Does anyone know a technician in the Boca Raton area?
Can a maintenance facility in the airport do the job, even thought they have never seen a Rotax?
Jose del Peso
Boca Raton, FL
120633 N92RV

Can a maintenance facility in the airport do the job, even thought they have never seen a Rotax?
Legally speaking, anyone can work on an experimental airplane, even the teenage kid next door. So the answer is, it depends on how much confidence you have in the local airport mechanic.
Did you build the airplane yourself?

Hi Joe
I have buiilt the E-LSA RV-12
Not sure, but I think I can not do it until I make the 12 hours maintenance course. I hope to be wrong
Jose

I believe the following is true, but must be confirmed with an appropriate authority (FSDO). The owner of an E-LSA can do any and all maintenance and repair on the plane (I also believe that Joe is correct, that, in fact, anyone can work on an E-LSA).

The owner of an E-LSA who completes an approved 16 hour LSA inspector course and applies for and is issued an FAA inspector certificate can also do the annual condition on that airplane (the E-LSA he/she owns). Carol Carpenter of Rainbow Aviation is one expert who can answer these questions.

Last edited:
I believe the following is true, but must be confirmed with an appropriate authority (FSDO). The owner of an E-LSA can do any and all maintenance and repair on the plane (I also believe that Joe is correct, that, in fact, anyone can work on an E-LSA).

The owner of an E-LSA who completes an approved 16 hour LSA inspector course and applies for and is issued an FAA inspector certificate can also do the annual condition on that airplane (the E-LSA he/she owns). Carol Carpenter of Rainbow Aviation is one expert who can answer these questions.

This is correct

You are not that far from Lockwood in Sebring. You could fly up there and have them do it and you know that it is done right. They are the Rotax experts.

On the other hand, it's not that hard a job for someone that knows something about Rotax engine.

The owner of an E-LSA can do any and all maintenance and repair on the plane (I also believe that Joe is correct, that, in fact, anyone can work on an E-LSA).

The owner of an E-LSA who completes an approved 16 hour LSA inspector course and applies for and is issued an FAA inspector certificate can also do the annual condition on that airplane (the E-LSA he/she owns).

This is correct!

Checking the floats, one of them is out of weight.
I?ve called Lockwood and the floats and the gaskets are not available. They don?t even give an estimated time of delivery.
Does anybody know any other place where I can order these parts?
Jose

Thank you everybody
I thought that because I couldn?t do the annual I couldn?t do the SB either.
Jose

I assume you have test run the engine and synched the carbs per the MM? If not, the odds are the float test won't mean any thing because they need to be soaked in gas for a time to see if they are absorbing gas and exceeding the weight specified in the s/b.

Also, before doing this you may want to order a couple of spare floats and certainly the better carb bowl gaskets from Lockwood - the cork ones really fall apart each time you pop that bowl. I would't reuse the cork gaskets and I think Rotax specifies this in their manuals.

I did this myself and signed it off as owner/builder with my ATP no - (now my R - LSA - IA number) after some discussions with some EAA/FAA experts. Rotax might have heartburn with it, but tough nuts.

I am certainly no AP/mx expert, and I muddled through it - you can too.

Thanks John
I have double check the floats after soaking in gas
1. Visually. The pin of the float that is not OK is below the gas level
2.Weighting the floats. One pair was out of tolerance
I have ordered new floats and gaskets.
Thank for your advice
Jose

Back