What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using the Halo in the RV-12?

Bill_H

Well Known Member
LOTS of positive posts in other forums about the Quiet Technologies Halo headset. Thinking strongly about it. Anyone using it in the RV-12? I think there were issues with 1st-gen versions of it with some radio/intercom combinations. These seem to have been solved. Please give feedback if you are using one in the -12.

Also looking at the build-one-yourself option in this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=20917

I use the Clarity Aloft in the 12 and it is excellent. BTW Bill, I sent you a pm last week, did it get to you?

I use the halo in the rv12 and don't have any problems. Just need to adjust the halo volume to your desired level.

I have had no PMs. Maybe there is another Bill_H or Bill.H or Bill-H. Email me at billhollifield AT iname DOT COM

QT was good enough to donate two sets for use in Eagle's Nest One. I have used Halos for years and love them, and we have had no trouble in the RV-12 except with mix-n-match with one other headset. Can't remember which one it was, but nothing seemed to work right. I do believe the intercom isn't the best, and often matched headsets work better anyway. BTW, I think their donation has paid off with several people buying from them. VERY good to work with, and a superb product.

Bob

I am old and about half deaf to begin with so I have tried several things.
1. Started with David Clark 10-20 A no ANR

2. Converted David Clark headset to ANR ( better)

3. Bought Quiet Technologies Halo ( Much better than the ANR headset plus more comfort). Great in the Comanche but still too much engine noise in the RV.

4. Read about a company that adds in the ear technoology to an existing headset. So I put on my QT Halo with the David Clark headset on top. (Wow clear as a bell with almost no backgound noise at all.

5. Ordered a pair of David Clark muffs to wear on top of the QT Halo set. Should be here this week. Then I don't have the fat padding on the top of the headset or the extra mic to get in the way.

John Morgan

Tested the Clarity and the Halo at Sun & Fun 2012. I chose the Clarity Aloft and used them during the test ride with the RV-12. Crisp and clear and quiet. With a conventional headset I loose to much (valuable) headroom (I'm 6'4") and I really dislike conventional headsets on a hot summer day.
The comfort of both in ear headsets is great.

In the ear.

I am using & are very happy with the QT Halo unit, but instead of messing with the foam things to stuff in your ears I had a local hearing aid shop make me a pair of plastic inserts that fit my own unique ear canals perfectly. The result is very comfortable & extremely quiet, even in our RV7.. Bonus is that you can't lend them to anyone! Cheers, DEAN...

Well, I ordered 2 of them today! When I told my wife about them she said "The answer to my prayers!" (Doesn't like her headset!) So if they work out I'll be selling a couple of headsets... A Dave Clark upgraded with a Headsets Inc noise-cancelling mod (works GREAT), gel cups, and fleece top-band, and a standard Soft-comm. I'll report back once we've flown with them. Saw another thread about making replacement foam ear plugs for the Halo on the cheap (although they are also pretty cheap from QT.) "DIY Ear Plugs for your Halo" http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23829

Bill, wifey will love them. My wife wears hers to bed, something about my snoring? Not really. BTW, I sent you another pm.

Well, Bill, how did they work out? You never followed up and I am thinking about getting some Halos before the next spring ....

Halo

I have two of then and have been very pleased with the way they fit and the noise canceling. Since they hang over the ear they work better with sunglasses that have a straight earpiece rather than one that hangs over the ear as well. But I love the effectiveness of the Halo and the cost. I have seen the owner for the past two years ant Sun n Fun. Great guy and fun to talk to.

Bought 1 pair last month

Just finished flying off my phase I. Bought a pair to try on the first trip I took with the family gave them to one of my boys, brand new Bose to the other. On the way home (3hr trip). Had them switch. Just purchased 2 more Halos pair tonight. Flights were in a 10.

Back