What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Movie List - What do you think they missed?

Another Couple of Old Ones

Errol Flynn starred in The Dawn Patrol, a 1938 B&W classic. Some shots were from an earlier Warner brothers 1930 film of the same title. Haven't seen the earlier film yet.

Wings?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wings (1927). Sure it's a silent movie but has great flying scenes. Also it is the first movie to win Best Picture. Although by today's standards that's rather meaningless.

Rick McBride

What about Hells Angles?

rickrv8 said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wings (1927). Sure it's a silent movie but has great flying scenes. Rick McBride
Rick probably because it's a silent movie. I way too young, but I imagine those ornate "movie house" of the 20's and 30's showing this film with a piano player providing live back ground music. I would like to see it, looks cool. It's only $4.15 on the internet. The modern day reviews and ratings are excellent for it. They did crazy stunts in the Golden age of flying, no special effects. I always get uneasy when I see those "wing walkers" jumping from plane to plane.

Bob Axsom mentioned (the first movie on this thread) Howard Hughes 1930 "Hell's Angles"? Never saw it but in 2004 movie "The Aviator" of Hughes early life they, portrayed how Hughes made the film.

BOTH are highly rated? You can get both on Amazon (never bought from them but it seems like the #1 place to get old movies, any other sources?)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MHE1O/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104-0020982-6905520?n=130

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MHE1O/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104-0020982-6905520?n=130

G

Last edited:
hippy flying in desert

Wasn't the hippy (young kid) flying in the desert the start of one of the Iron Eagle movies? It was filmed in the mountains between Tehachapi and the Mojave Desert, with flying by Art Scholl.

Short flying scene "Escape from New York" ... bad movie, but a friend flew his PIK-20 sailplane for one scene, landing on a rooftop - he didn't actually land on a roof, but he did land in a pretty tight area...

Other movies with gliders - both versions of "The Thomas Crown Affair" - the later one filmed in the PA mountains, with Tom Knauff dressed in a wig being Rene Russo in the rear seat... :) ... I prefer the real Rene.... :)

An old Disney movie was called "Boy who flew with the Condors" or similar.. can't find a reference though....

Another Disney movie was filmed at a glider contest in El Mirage in the early 80's - starring two kids chasing drug smugglers in a Blanik. The studios like spares, so they turned up with two identical Blanik sailplanes even down to the borrowed registration, N1AA.... I guess the movie guys don't need no stinking FARs.... :rolleyes:

gil in Tucson

Coming Soon to a theater near you!

True aviation buffs can discern at a glance the subtle differences between computerized digital effects and the real thing when it comes to airplanes. That is why movies like "The Blue Max"... a film that features real airplanes are widely esteemed and debacles like "Pearl Harbor" are dismissed as laughable cartoons by those who really know how airplanes fly in 3D.

The July 2006 edition of Air & Space showcases the making of an upcoming film to be released later this year holding promise for those buffs who appreciate the real thing. For the making of "Flyboys" an accounting of the famed Lafayette Escadrille...REAL airplanes will dominate. Many reproductions were constructed for the making of this upcoming film. Digital effects will be used but sparingly....and for good reasons. For instance...tracer rounds commonly used in WW1 aerial combat. It is claimed even experienced flyers will not be able to discern the difference between the real and the digital.

In the meantime...enjoy this REAL video of an RV-4 doing his low level thing over a river in Washington.......anybody know who this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij1qWr99qLE

The Astronaut Farmer

While not about flying, it parallels what we are doing in a lot of ways.

I liked it.

Mark

Last edited:
Impressive Flying Scenes

Air Cadet - Best Formation flying film ever- using real Air Force video (Actors were Richard Long, Steven Mc Nally, and Rock Hudson- Gus Grissom had a camio role) Used
F-80s to document the riggors of USAF fighter pilot training.

Chain Lightening - Humphry Bogart, as jet test pilot trying to break speed record on non-stop flight from Alaska to DC, over the N. Pole

Does anyone know the name of a late night tv aviation movie I saw many years ago about 3 teenagers, who crashed on Mt. Whitney, while trying to cross the Sierras? It was a true story, and one survivor actually walked down the eastern slope of the Sierras, to an area near Lone Pine.
I'd like to add this to my collection, if I can get it on e-bay (where I purchased "Air Cadet") - Thank you

Title of this Turkey?

Anyone recall a TV movie starring Rod Taylor who was on a cross country trek in California with his troubled and reluctant family in a....(Piper?) Forced down (naturally), stranded and injured somewhere in the desert the family catharsis begins. To stay put is to endure certain death so his emotionally troubled son eventually takes charge of the situation and gets the airplane flying again. With injured dad and family on board, he soon finds himself lost and confused. Way off presumed course, the non-pilot eventually accepts the welcoming embrace of the U.S. Navy and lands the plane on an aircraft carrier, thereby saving the day for family, the network and brain dead viewers everywhere. Title and year anyone?

Last edited:
Yep Family Flight 1972 (TV movie)

Rick6a said:
Anyone recall a TV movie starring Rod Taylor who was on a cross country trek in California with his troubled and reluctant family in a....(Piper?) Forced down (naturally), stranded and injured somewhere in the desert the family catharsis begins. To stay put is to endure certain death so his emotionally troubled son eventually takes charge of the situation and gets the airplane flying again. With injured dad and family on board, he soon finds himself lost and confused. Way off presumed course, the non-pilot eventually accepts the welcoming embrace of the U.S. Navy and lands the plane on an aircraft carrier, thereby saving the day for family, the network and brain dead viewers everywhere. Title and year anyone?
Yes I do remember it very clearly. I could not think of the name until you filled in the blank with the main actor name, Rod Taylor, so I could look it up. It was a Navion I recall. Kind of Swiss Family Robertson meets Flight of the Phoenix. Here is the name:

Family Flight (1972) (TV) - Plot: During a flight from San Diego to Florida, family Carlyle is surprised by a weather front in the Rocky Mountains. They have to do an emergency landing in a Mexican desert, with their plane severely damaged. Latent tensions in the family interfere with the efforts to solve their desperate situation. (This is the plot description off the web not mine. Rocky Mountains? Forced landing in Mexico? San Diego to Florida.... Hummm)

I remember it was good for the day. I was real young when I saw it but still remember it after 35 years! That was back before the World Wide Web, cable TV by good bit, when TV's still had knobs on them, click click click.

Rod Taylor starred in several aviation related films, I think which may have already been covered, but here are two:

A Gathering of Eagles (1963) - Plot: Air Force Colonel who has just been re-assigned as a cold war B-52 commander.... Stared Rock Hudson.

Fate Is the Hunter (1964) - Plot: A man refuses to believe that pilot error caused a fatal crash, and persists in looking for another reason. (Very roughly based on the great Ernest K Gann book of same name). Also had Glenn Ford and the movie was nominated for an Oscars. I saw it. It is good, not great.

Last edited:
I dissagree

Kyle Boatright said:
The Battle of Britain.

Sure, the plot was a stinker, and the acting was weak (despite some big names), but the flying scenes are incredible..

I'd be willing to pay for a DVD of the flying scenes that weren't used from some of these flicks... E.G. Battle of Britain, Top Gun, and Strategic Air Command.

I think the plot of the Battle of Britain was pretty much close to historical events. Even the minor Nazi pilots who were introduced by name appear to be correct.

OK yeah I agree Suzzanna York should have been killed off BEFORE the start of the film...terrible, but the roles played by Trevor Howard (Air Vice marshall Parks) who travelled around HIS airfields in his staff car..i.e his personal Hurricane....And Sir Hugh Dowding (who lived with his Sister, they called him "Stuffy") played by,...argh, can't remember...But they were right on the money of the original characters form my reading of the time.

Anyway, just one Ex pat Brits opinion.

Frank

frankh said:
I think the plot of the Battle of Britain was pretty much close to historical events. Even the minor Nazi pilots who were introduced by name appear to be correct.

OK yeah I agree Suzzanna York should have been killed off BEFORE the start of the film...terrible, but the roles played by Trevor Howard (Air Vice marshall Parks) who travelled around HIS airfields in his staff car..i.e his personal Hurricane....And Sir Hugh Dowding (who lived with his Sister, they called him "Stuffy") played by,...argh, can't remember...But they were right on the money of the original characters form my reading of the time.

Anyway, just one Ex pat Brits opinion.

Frank

I don't question the historical accuracy, but the sub-plots outside the battle and or battle strategy were terrible. Were any of the characters interesting? Susannah York, her husband, the Spit pilot whose family was killed in the bomb shelter, or even the Me109 ace? Naah, no character development and there was no reason to like or dislike any of the characters. Good movies rely on having characters who are interesting on a personal level.

And this is coming from a guy who has two copies of the movie on DVD (the original DVD release and the "behind the scenes" release too), has the soundtrack CD in the player in his car (and on the MP3 player in the RV-6), and <somewhere> has a copy of the ~10 page handout they gave out at the movie premier.

I like the movie, but the flying scenes and the fairly accurate historical representation of the facts are the saving graces. The plot and characters were rotten.

The Astronaut Farmer (at Theaters now)

Just wanted to bump this back to the top with the weekend coming up.

I liked it.

It will be good for your wives to see this too. Trust me.

Mark

gmcjetpilot said:
Shucks, got most of the good ones, but...............

Apollo 13 (1995) Tom Hanks, Not much non-ballistic "flying" below
264,000 feet but awesome, go USA. (No offense to international members,
but not many countries have gone to the moon, wait, no country has landed
man on the moon except the USA. :D )

[:

None taken and an incredible acheivement, but it did ..er get some help from overseas..as did the Russians for that matter...

Not sure if it got mentioned

Always....My almost fav movie....Yeah OK little rich Dreyfus "forgot" to feather the props when both his engines quit, Our hero Ted asked for a "sectional AND a WAC chart for Dome mountain"...Gimme a break

Not to mention what the FAA would have been doing with Holly Hunter's license...But it was still a great flick...:)

I've been in love with "Rachael" ever since I seen it...:)

Don't tell the Wife!

Frank

Kyle Boatright said:
I don't question the historical accuracy, but the sub-plots outside the battle and or battle strategy were terrible. Were any of the characters interesting? Susannah York, her husband, the Spit pilot whose family was killed in the bomb shelter, or even the Me109 ace? Naah, no character development and there was no reason to like or dislike any of the characters. Good movies rely on having characters who are interesting on a personal level.

And this is coming from a guy who has two copies of the movie on DVD (the original DVD release and the "behind the scenes" release too), has the soundtrack CD in the player in his car (and on the MP3 player in the RV-6), and <somewhere> has a copy of the ~10 page handout they gave out at the movie premier.

I like the movie, but the flying scenes and the fairly accurate historical representation of the facts are the saving graces. The plot and characters were rotten.

You mean you didn't like Suzzanna "Oh Collin!" York trying look like she was mad when the Seargeant yelled at her?...:)

Ya OK...your right I can't argue with a single point you made!

Cheers

Frank...."'Einkels, Nah..Missishmitts, nah! Einkels"...Those kids sound loike me!

Batte of Brittain

And if you wan't a really good laugh, turn on the subtitles...The obviously American subtitler could'nt understand the English accents and gets half the words wrong..Its hilarious...Well it is if you understand proper English and therefore actualy know what the words are...:)

I only did this after my beautiful American Wife kept asking me to translate!

Frank..."Give 'em a boody shovel!"

The Astronaut Farmer

Mark Burns said:
I liked it.
It will be good for your wives to see this too. Trust me.

Hey Mark, my wife loved this film (as did I).
Thanks!
Mike

An old one

I just discovered this one....

"Way to the Stars", a 1945 US/British co-production

http://imdb.com/title/tt0038238/

Also known as "Johnny in the Clouds" as a US title. Lots of well good known actors/ actresses.

Why it was interesting for me...
My local IA (now 88 and still flying his Bonanza) was the pilot of one of the three B-17s in the film. It counted as his last mission in England in WWII and he said he had a ball for 2 weeks - his B-17 always had a load of women - US and British service women - every time he flew.... :)

Well worth a watch if you like 40's films.... hard to get in the US though... :(

gil in Tucson

What dreck!

I'm not sure which of the excellent aviation related movies is my favorite, although just now "The Spirit of St. Louise" comes to mind. For dogfight stuff, I think "The Great Waldo Pepper" is fine.

As for "Flyboys" I am just sad that so many resources have resulted in such a colossal waste of time. I would have given it a lower rating, but I improved the movie by fast forwarding through most of the flying scenes.

I believe that Singer/songwriter John Denver made an aviation related movie back in the late 80s or early 90s called "Higher ground". It was about a bush pilot. As far as i know it was only shown on TV once and was never released as VCR matl. I am wondering if anybody taped a copy of it that i could see. Tony

westwinds said:
I believe that Singer/songwriter John Denver made an aviation related movie back in the late 80s or early 90s called "Higher ground". It was about a bush pilot. As far as i know it was only shown on TV once and was never released as VCR matl. I am wondering if anybody taped a copy of it that i could see. Tony

It makes the rounds on the cable channels every so often. Some good float plane action and scenery!

Which reminds me of another one. The Mother Lode, or Search for the Mother Lode. Excellent wilderness float plane scenes, including a Beaver on floats, crash into the lake which wasn't planned, but written into the script once it actually happened. This film has been on RCA skippo vision & tape, but is out of release, and tied up in limbo.

For all I know, I might have already mentioned this film, far back in this thread.

L.Adamson

C'mon...we're missing one!!

Now I apologize for not reading every post, but I browsed most of them. NOBODY mentioned FIREFOX!!

Sure, wasn't the best acting, but the idea for the plane was amazing. I remember dreaming of flying it when I was a kid growing up. I'd sit real close to the TV during the "canyon run" and fly with Clint.

Hope to have my RV someday and try the same (Canyons of clouds of course!)

-Greg

Bought it and enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation

I bought it and enjoyed it thanks to you recommendation. You and LA mentioned this movie 4 years ago. Bought it (DVD) from Amazon and my wife and I enjoyed it last night. It's sad John is gone.

Bob Axsom

But Wait!...there's MORE...

Just discovered this thread that predates my lurk incept date -- thanx to Bob Axsom for resuscitating it. It's been a hoot to read. May I add a bit?...

Az_Gila, the Napa Valley glider chase film you asked about back in 2007 was called "Dawn Flight." Don't forget "The Sunship Game." Still may be the best glider documentary ever. Also, help me out here. Didn't Chris Woods make one or two very good sailplane oriented films back in the 80s? (BTW, I remember you with your Duster "A3" at El Mirage. I often crewed for WX.)

In the Stinko-Story-But-OK-Flying-Scenes-Dep't: "Bombers B-52" (1957) Woaah! Jeez...somebody open a window!

If that wuddn bad enough, try "Capricorn One." It'll make ya dizzy from groaning. Hero is running across desert, hotly pursued by bad guys actively trying to grease him. What does he do? Why, he suddenly feels hungry and stops in a cave long enough to kill a rattlesnake and eat it raw. Wow...that's what's called story-relevant.

"Charley Varrick." Crop duster Walter Matthau supplements meager income by robbing banks. Unwittingly robs small bank that is stashing mob loot. Happens every day.

Just a couple weeks ago saw "Toward The Unknown." About the early X-planes at EDW. Quite the usual canned script, but very good flying scenes and a truly weird airplane, the Martin XB-51. This film was legally locked up in star William Holden's estate for decades, but was just released on DVD. IMHO...worth it.

Correction

Woops, got crossed up in the preceding post. It was Mike Stuckey who asked about "Dawn Flight." Hope this fixes it, and now Mike can finally get some sleep.

Second Hand Lions

... starts and ends with a flying scene. The movie is very entertaining as well.

Cowboys and Aliens

Okay, this is a bit of a stretch. Alien spacecraft attacking earthlings. It starts out as a typical cowboy movie but then with a sic-fi twist. EAA member Harrison Ford co-stars. I really enjoyed it but I would go see it because I like Harrison Ford movies. He also has done a lot to further the cause of aviation. I don't know how many Young Eagles he has flown but the number is not insignificant.

Flight

After returning home from the race today I went by the Razorback 16 theater to
see the new Denzel Washington Movie "Flight". The parking lot, which is huge,
was packed. I thought they must have some new vampire movie out because of all
the young under 30 people that were there. Anyway, I drove home took a nap and
said to myself, there is a 10 pm showing I can go to that it should be cleared
out by then. Well, it was thinned out a little, to the extent that I could find
a parking spot. So I go in and right away I see that they are showing it on 4
of the 16 screens. I got my pop corn and soda and went in and found a seat but
I expected an empty theater - it was packed!

I watched the movie and no doubt it was well produced, directed, acted, etc,
but it was NOT the feel good aviation movie that I had hoped for. But,
I observed, valid or not, people - yes young people - are interested in aviation
even today. Don't take your kids to see it. There is full nudity at the very
start, there is no limit on profanity, and alcohol and drugs are the main theme.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I observed, valid or not, people - yes young people - are interested in aviation
even today.

Do not think Flight is an aviation movie. It is a movie that has aviation in it.

even today. Don't take your kids to see it. There is full nudity at the very
start, there is no limit on profanity, and alcohol and drugs are the main theme.

Bob Axsom

My wife and I saw Flight about a week ago. I agree with Bob's review. We enjoyed the movie, but it's really about an alcoholic that just happens to be a pilot and is involved in a plane crash.

There was a 10 year old sitting next to my wife. We never paid attention to the rating, since we were attending a "word of mouth" preview. This boys mother was pretty embarrassed and not sure how to react during that opening scene. I second Bob's opinion that this movie isn't appropriate for kids.

I watched the first scene on Never Cry Wolf - I'm in

I placed my order through Amazon. My first click was on the DVD version and they said only 7 left in stock. BUT! as I was clicking I saw that they had a few VHS versions that I greatly prefer for movies that I watch over and over while exercising and changed my order. Thank you 160kt.

Bob Axsom

P.S. Watched "Always" for probably the 20th time Friday night. I had started it on Thursday night's exercise session (trying to get back in shape after 10 months of letting myself go). After the tread mill stopped and the push ups were done I just watched it to the end - too good to turn off. Really good ones serve a moral purpose long after the initial viewing.

B.A.

Last edited:
My wife and I went to "Flight" this afternoon. We knew what to expect, and both liked the movie. But then I'm the type, that likes "Leaving Las Vegas" (another alcoholic drama) with Nicolas Cage. The aircraft scenes in the first part, do draw you in. It's like the beginning tsunami scene in "Hereafter". In other words, you seem to experience it. And that means it's done with believability. Yes...... I felt like I was diving straight to the ground!

L.Adamson

Never Cry Wolf

Always is one of my favorites. I've watched it probably 20 times too

Never Cry Wolf is based on a true story and has lots of great footage of Alaska. Some boring parts but most real life has that too
Brian Dennehy was pretty good crazy bush pilot and tho the flight scene with freezing fuel is a stretch it's great entertainment!

I have some photos of B29 Air Sea Rescue Dropping the rescue boat that is pretty neat from when Dad served in the army air corp. I guess it would need to be a new thread for aviation pictures.....

Best of luck at the last race Bob. I'm hoping to make it too

Last edited:
Movie List

Add "Wings".

One of the last silent movies. Corny plot but some great flying/dogfights/crashes all without CG. I recollect one of the heroes was a pilot already but the other was trained for the movie. Now available on blue ray either with the original organ sound track or an orchestrated version. Filming was held up for clouds to move in to add more depth to the scenes. Shot in California with the help of the army who supplied a lot of troops. Lots of interesting background divulged on the DVD.

Devil Dogs of the Air (a.k.a. Flying Marines) is a 1935 Warner Bros. propaganda film, directed by Lloyd Bacon and starring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien, reprising their earlier roles as buddies after making their debut as a "buddy team" in Here Comes the Navy.[N 1] Devil Dogs of the Air was the second of nine features that Pat O'Brien and James Cagney made together.[N 2] The film's storyline was adapted from a novel by John Monk Saunders.
Here Comes the Navy is a 1934 American romantic comedy film starring James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Gloria Stuart andFrank McHugh.

Ceiling Zero is a 1936 adventure/drama film directed by Howard Hawks and starring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien. The picture stars Cagney as daredevil womanizing pilot "Dizzy" Davis and O'Brien as Jake Lee, his war veteran buddy and the operations manager of an airline company. Based on a stage play of the same name, the film blends drama with some light comedy. The title, as defined at the beginning of the picture, is an insider term referring to those moments when the sky is so thick with fog that navigating an airplane is nearly impossible.

The Wings of Eagles is a 1957 Metrocolor film starring John Wayne, based on the true story of Frank "Spig" Wead and the history of U.S. Naval aviation from its inception through World War II. The film is a tribute to Wead from his friend, director John Ford.
John Wayne plays naval aviator-turned-screenwriter Wead, who wrote the story or screenplay for such films as **** Divers with Wallace Beery and Clark Gable, Ceiling Zero with James Cagney, and They Were Expendable with John Wayne.

Captains of the Clouds is a 1942 Warner Bros. war film in Technicolor, directed by Michael Curtiz and starring James Cagney. It was produced by William Cagney (James Cagney's brother), with Hal B. Wallis as executive producer. Thescreenplay was written by Arthur T. Horman, Richard Macaulay, and Norman Reilly Raine, based on a story by Horman and Roland Gillett. The cinematography was by Wilfred M. Cline, Sol Polito, and Winton C. Hoch and was notable in that it was the first feature length Hollywood production filmed entirely in Canada.[1]
The film stars James Cagney and Dennis Morgan as Canadian pilots who do their part in the Second World War, and features Brenda Marshall, Alan Hale, Sr., George Tobias, Reginald Gardiner, and Reginald Denny in supporting roles. The title of the film came from a phrase used by Billy Bishop, the First World War fighter ace, who played himself in the film.[2] The same words are also echoed in the narration of The Lion Has Wings documentary (1939).
In 1942, Canada had been at war with the Axis Powers for over two years, while the United States had only just entered in December 1941. A film on the ongoing Canadian involvement made sense for the American war effort. The films ends with an epilogue chronicling the contributions of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) to the making of the film.

Up is a 2009 American 3D computer-animated comedy-adventure film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. Directed by Pete Docter, the film centers on an elderly widower named Carl Fredricksen (voiced by Edward Asner) and an earnest young Wilderness Explorer named Russell (Jordan Nagai). By tying thousands of balloons to his home, 78-year-old Carl sets out to fulfill his dream to see the wilds of South Americaand to complete a promise made to his late lifelong love. The film was co-directed by Bob Peterson, with music composed by Michael Giacchino.

Disney's Planes

Disney's Fire and Rescue

October Sky: The true STORY of Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was inspired by the first Sputnik launch to take up rocketry against his father's wishes

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a 2004 American pulp adventure science fiction film written and directed by Kerry Conran in his directorial debut. The film is set in an alternative 1939 and follows the adventures of Polly Perkins (Gwyneth Paltrow), a newspaper reporter, and Joseph "Joe" Sullivan (Jude Law), alias "Sky Captain," as they track down the mysterious Dr. Totenkopf (Laurence Olivier), who is seeking to build the "World of Tomorrow". The film is an example of the "dieselpunk" genre.[1]

Has plenty of flying in it with a P-40 and some sci fi craft.

Night Crossing is a 1982 Disney film starring John Hurt, Jane Alexander and Beau Bridges. The film is based on the true story of the Strelzyk and Wetzel families, who on September 16, 1979 escaped from East Germany to West Germany in a homemade hot air balloon during the days of the Inner German border-era when emigration to West Germany was strictly prohibited by the East German government. It was directed by Delbert Mann.

Red Skies of Montana is a 1952 adventure drama in which Richard Widmark stars as a smokejumper who attempts to save his crew while being overrun by a forest fire, not only to preserve their lives, but to redeem himself after being the only survivor of a previous disaster. The film was loosely based on the August 1949 Mann Gulch fire, and filmed on location in Technicolor with the cooperation of the United States Forest Service. Bugle Mountain, located in the Scapegoat Wildern...

Dunkirk World War Two adventure from Ealing Studios, following the fortunes of a small team of soldiers who are separated from their comrades-in-arms during the Dunkirk evacuation and face a terrifying journey to safety. Luckily, heroic lance corporal John Mills takes charge, aiming to lead the platoon to sanctuary while those around him panic. Richard Attenborough, Robert Urquhart and Bernard Lee co-star in this impressive production, which utilises actual news footage to reveal the horrors of the conflict.

You get buzzed by ME-109's

Toward the Unknown
Task Force
Air Force
Dive Bomber
Bombardier
Zero Hour
Behind Enemy Lines
Airport 75
Airport 77
Thunderbirds
Marooned
Battle Hymn
Chain Lightning
Target for Tonight

There's plenty more...says a friend of mine who supplied this list.

Oh - come on, Airplane is a classic. ;)

Looks like I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

If you want to discover something most don't know about airplane go to utube and type in airplane and zero hour. Airplane was not a new script but simply a remake of the movie zero hour often with the dialogue word for word from one to the other. Zero hour was a very serious movie but tiny changes in context made it very funny! You can see scene by scene comparisons on utube.

George

A couple of Disney ones featuring gliders.

The Boy who flew with Condors

The Sky Trap

I was at El Mirage when they filmed some of the Sky Trap during a regional gliding contest. The glider pilot wives were quite amused at the movie bimbos who turned up with nice hairdos and high heels in the dust and heat of El Mirage. :)

And a very well produced one on soaring competitions, ending with a National Contest in Marfa TX.

The Sun Ship Game

As far as I can gather it was paid for by IBM as an inspirational movie for their employees. A sub-theme of the movie is how the calculating numbers guy wins over the "artistic" guy who just wings it.

Last edited:
Back