What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Stuck Trim

nightflier

Patron
Trim stuck in landing position. More facts to follow tomorrow!

It wasn't the relays, and it would have jammed even if I had the TCW system! Paint jammed the actuator rods on the tab and stopped it cold. Then it striped the plastic gears in the gearbox, so it wasn't going to move regardless of what I did. We replaced the servo, scraped the paint off the rods, and all is well. Had I known, I could have used the aileron trim servo, to get home.
COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

Last edited:
If you're using the standard Van's servos/relays (Ray Allen), it is very normal for the REL-1 relays to fail. You can hear them clicking, but no juice goes to the servo. Usually, it fails in one direction first. If you are stuck, try blipping it in the direction you DON'T want to go, then back they way you want - frequently, this will "unstick" the contacts enough to get you home. But change to a REL-2 as soon as you can. I have had these go slowly bad, or fail completely in a week from first symptoms.

Paul

I agree with Paul. Put the REL-2's in. I've had failures with the -1's, but not the -2's. Of course, Anything can fail at any time. I am aware of a failure of the Safety Trim failing on the way home from OSH on one RV-10.

Vic

A week late

If you're using the standard Van's servos/relays (Ray Allen), it is very normal for the REL-1 relays to fail. You can hear them clicking, but no juice goes to the servo. Usually, it fails in one direction first. If you are stuck, try blipping it in the direction you DON'T want to go, then back they way you want - frequently, this will "unstick" the contacts enough to get you home. But change to a REL-2 as soon as you can. I have had these go slowly bad, or fail completely in a week from first symptoms.

Paul

Why couldn't you have posted this two weeks ago? I replaced my pitch trim servo because the trim would "stick" from time to time. I put a volt meter on the servo and could detect 12V but no movement of the servo. I could also hear the relay clicking so it must be the servo - right? No! It was the relay. I replaced the REL-1 with an REL-2 and it now works great. So much for my diagnostic skills.

Why couldn't you have posted this two weeks ago? I replaced my pitch trim servo because the trim would "stick" from time to time. I put a volt meter on the servo and could detect 12V but no movement of the servo. I could also hear the relay clicking so it must be the servo - right? No! It was the relay. I replaced the REL-1 with an REL-2 and it now works great. So much for my diagnostic skills.

I think your diagnosing skills are just fine! I was just about ready to do the same thing until I talked to the boys at the Ray Allen booth at OSH. I ordered a REL-2 Saturday.

According to the order dude at RA they have an REL-2 in a media tumbler and it has been tumbling (simulated abuse) for over a year 8 hours a day. I'd say they are an impovement. ;)

Last edited:
SAFETY TRIM CONTROLLER is a must fit I think!

Great device!

I'm another satisfied user of Safety-Trim. Fantastic product with fantastic support. Works great in my -8. I especially like it with the airspeed switch, which reduces the trim travel speed at higher airspeeds. Again, great product.

Back