What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual flaps and partially opened canopy brackets

Low n Slow

Well Known Member
I?ve just started my -4 transition training and while my instructor was flying from the front seat yesterday, the flaps were twice inadvertently retracted on short final.

It seems he?s much wider than the builder and his ?love handles? were protruding out enough to push the flap handle out of its detent.

Our -4 has detents for two flap settings, is this the standard set up, or does each builder decide how many flap settings should be used?

Do the detents for the flaps come included with the kit, or does each builder design and fabricate their own?

I?ve seen numerous RV-4?s with a small bracket that allows the canopy to be keep partially opened while on the ground. Does anyone sell these, or are there any plans available so we can fabricate our own?

Thx!
Tom

Hi Tom,

I won?t go into the canopy issue as I don?t know about that but I do know a thing or two about your most important issue, your flaps.

When I bought my -4 I had the same problem, my butt was two wide, this was made worse by the flap handle and stops being worn, I removed the seat and made two new stops out of thicker material and re beveled the handle and new stops to encourage them to stay in place, it took only a couple of hours and works fine now. I also scoot my butt over to the right before deploying the flaps. Your setup sounds normal for a -4, actually three positions, up half and full. Some will tell you to install electric conversion and you can but tell you decide and to get you through your training just fix what you have and keep flying.

Russ

The plans describe the flap detents but builders fab them. As for the canopy deal, that's stictly a design and do-it-yourself thing. Search around on this site and you'll find a lot of info on the canopy thing.

Flap handle mod

Many years ago when I started my project I was counseled by some unknown RV4 owner at a fly-in to stiffen the flap handle. See photo of my reinforced handle. It's also supposed to reduce twisting then deploying flaps near the top of the white arc on speed. I pulled it out to paint my interior last weekend. I have not flown yet so I can't recommend it as a worthy mod. My reinforced handle does take a good sideways push to actuate the flaps.

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers, RV4 construction progressing into the panel now. Some say 90% to go!!!
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back