What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to order a part from VAN'S

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Today, I tried to order a part from VAN'S on line feature. I conclude that I must be the dumbest person on the internet because my attempts at ordering a simple replacement part were REJECTED by their procedures. I was directed to 'the list' and I have the part number in hand BUT, I was unable to order as 'the list' didn't have that part number on it.

I now know why it takes so much time on the telephone to order a part - their on-line feature doesn't work - at least for me. And sometimes, it takes the employee of VAN'S quite a while to find parts when I call.

So, I'm pis -er -unhappy again with VAN'S on-line services. Sure would be good if one of these Summers, VAN'S would hire a high school or college student to revise their on-line presence. I'm not even sorry to report this need - again. And fire whomever set up the system as it is.

And don't call me Shirley or tell me to cool off - it ain't going to happen at least for a few minutes.

Today, I tried to order a part from VAN'S on line feature. I conclude that I must be the dumbest person on the internet because my attempts at ordering a simple replacement part were REJECTED by their procedures. I was directed to 'the list' and I have the part number in hand BUT, I was unable to order as 'the list' didn't have that part number on it.

I now know why it takes so much time on the telephone to order a part - their on-line feature doesn't work - at least for me. And sometimes, it takes the employee of VAN'S quite a while to find parts when I call.

So, I'm pis -er -unhappy again with VAN'S on-line services. Sure would be good if one of these Summers, VAN'S would hire a high school or college student to revise their on-line presence. I'm not even sorry to report this need - again. And fire whomever set up the system as it is.

And don't call me Shirley or tell me to cool off - it ain't going to happen at least for a few minutes.

Yeah, not ideal but it works, mostly. I go to the search function then enter the par number with the catalogue and list checked for search. It gives adequate responses almost always. The are some issues with syntax as the spaces and dashes are not always kept consistent.

What are you looking for? Did it not come up?

BTW - I needed a replacement prepunched part. It needed to have 6 holes not punched. I called on the 5th - busy day. The lady finally went to the warehouse and looked at the part and called me back. They are good helpful folks there.

Call them. I found it much easier to speak with a human. :)

Side note: Van's staff is awesome!

D

Seems like every time I need parts, at least one is not in the catalog or "The List". RV-12 parts seem to be especially problematic that way. I end up calling, and they have always been good about it. The only PITA is the time difference.

I think the best advise I can give you is dont use the backpage button. Always go forward so to speak. I think their website is pretty easy to use. You have to do it once or twice, but after that its pretty easy.

Totally agree with OP.

The search function for parts is - pants !

I liken it to doing the Times crossword (NY or London) - you need to understand the compiler in order to succeed !

During the build of our 12's we had a part mis stamped, I tried to re order it and despite taking the part number off the item, it wouldn't find it. Additionally, I wanted some parts for the avionics so we could install stiffeners in the tailcone, same issue.

A phonecall resolved the matter, but even Vans struggled, they found the part on one system and it wouldn't pick on another.

Generally, they are exceptionally good and when you call them, they resolve the issue but it must absorb a lot of their time in doing so.

I am sure by now, they realise they are growing strongly and need to support the back end as well as the front end. There are many off the shelf search functions available or indeed - get a college student in this summer.

This problem seems to have gotten worse in the last few months. Example:

Last fall, I decided to rebuild an elevator. I was able to order every single part I needed by entering the part numbers in the search function on the web site. No need to look at "the list" or anywhere else.

More recently, I have had ZERO hits using this same search function. Searching by part description usually does not work. What I've started doing is sending requests to "[email protected]", because it can be very hard to get someone on the phone, depending on day of week/time of day.

Once you get someone, all is good, but the quality of the experience has diminished. I hope that they can iron out the issues. It seems that what is most needed is a re-working of the online order tool to reflect a full, accurate list of parts by part numbers.

For a company that has such a massive following, I would think the website would be a bit easier to navigate.

ease of search and lists would reduce their staffs time on phones etc. and from what I hear... time is money :)

One thing to keep in mind is that some part numbers will not show up in the list. I was trying to order a HS spar a while back and could not find the part number. I was told that parts that cannot be sent via UPS are not in the list.

So if the item needs to be sent via freight you need to call. In my case the part was too long to be sent by UPS.

Some times a part number is listed on the plans that is actually several parts that you put together, those are not listed at Vans so you have to order each one separately maybe that's what happened in your case. It happened to me a few weeks ago.

Back