What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy gas lift strut update

daddyman

Well Known Member
Correction:
I had previously stated that my gas lift assist/hold open strut was purchased from McMaster-Carr.
It was not.
It was actually purchased from Industrial Hardware Direct.

Mine blew open a week ago (no harm/no foul) during a gusty day while refueling.
I then noticed the gas assist was not working.

I had not noticed it as I lifted the canopy open (duh).

Mine had been in service just about 2 years before it gave out.

I've decided to replace it with one with more lifting force (was 30#). To now 50# lifting force.

Industrial Hardware Direct has a user-friendly web ordering system, allowing the buyer to get exactly what they want. (Note: I have no affiliation with the site or company).

My new one will be stainless steel, open slightly more extended (17")
P/N LGP8s-170-50

Sorry if fellow RV'ers spent time searching the wrong site in vain.

Daddyman

Any pics? I have been contemplating switching to a strut from rope. Did you reinforce the where you attach it on canopy?

Here are the 3 pictures.
I purchased the knob and canopy knob end hardware at the Chevy Dealer.
I used a 2009 Chevy Suburban Lift Gate hardware. Figured if it can hold that, than my canopy is a cinch. It pivots from the hinge side of the canopy frame (about 1 inch inboard)point to the back(center of the roll Bar).
My flying buddy and fellow RV'er -Smokey cut off the knob and biased it to the top of a bolt.
66c2hd.jpg

160ardt.jpg

15yxgu0.jpg

PM me if you need more details.
Glad to help.
Daddyman

I would recommend attaching the gas strut to the other side of the canopy. Much less stress on the canopy and you can go down to a 10# strut.

IMG_1210.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SLJordan,
Good looking setup.
Allows for wide-opening of the canopy for easy entrance.

Required wiling of the roll bar, and will it hold well against the breeze?

Daddyman

SLJordan,
Good looking setup.
Allows for wide-opening of the canopy for easy entrance.

Required wiling of the roll bar, and will it hold well against the breeze?

Daddyman

Hi Daddyman,
I originally wanted a nice short gas strut on the right side of the canopy but just trying to hold the canopy with my hand low on the hinge side seamed almost impossible. I was just afraid I couldn't make the entire system strong enough to support that leverage arm let alone hold a gust of wind. You are correct my roll bar mount arm has got a good force on it, its a beefy piece of 4130 so it will hold but its not light unfortunately. I was up against some constraints on mine as my seat is moved back 4" along with the roll bar. I would think with a stock -4 the strut could be mounted directly to the shoulder harness tube as you did than over to the left side of the canopy? I talked to Axle and he said he originally had his strut in the middle of the canopy brace and that proved to weak. Like I said if you go all the way to the left side you can run a #10 gas strut and the canopy opens and closes nice and slow. For sure lots of ways to do this, and we don't read about canopy blowing open left and right so that's good.

Hold me back...

My flying buddy and fellow RV'er -Smokey cut off the knob and biased it to the top of a bolt.

PM me if you need more details.
Glad to help.
Daddyman

Dave,
Glad to see it still works!
I have seen many iterations over the years and I adapted my own RV4 to my favorite, a deflated gas strut 1/2 the length of Scott's above. I removed the auto attachments and used AN rod ends threaded on each end similar to Scott's as well, in 1997. Great minds think alike!
It's attached to the roll bar and a beefed up section on the canopy rail. I drilled/drained the hydraulic fluid and it's much easier to open/close.

Another great and simple setup is a drawer hold back arm from Home Depot's aviation supply section.
I'll try to find a picture.
V/R
Smokey

PS:When I built my 4 back in the 90's, the "rope trick" was the established canopy hold back device, as mentioned above. However, after an early 4 driver had rear seat stick interference with the rope and a near fatal crash, it fell out of favor.

Last edited:
Mine still has the rope but i would like to replace it with something more appealing and safer. Also i would like something that would detach in the event of the canopy coming loose or needing to be removed in flight.

Back