What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM1000 Parts

NROBB

I may just pull the trigger and replace my 20 years old VM1000 system. I just installed new EI and seems like the VM1000 DPU needs to be pulled/opened and jumper changed for it to accept the new Tach signal.

Removing the DPU from its place is a major job anyway, I may just take this chance and upgrade it finally.

If done, then planning to put MGL RDAC on engine side. I believe I can keep the engine Oil Temperature sensor (It is the probe that goes into Lycoming vernatherm housing). Also, I can keep all CHT / EGTs, and Fuel Flow (standard Floscan). Is this correct?!

I know I am removing the MAP sensor as MGL RDAC includes a built-in one.

But how about the Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure & Current Sensor? (Photos below)

Can I keep these as 5V is available from MGL RDAC?. I am guessing VMS sensors are three wires for 5V, GND and Analog Signal output. Anyone got the data sheets for these sensors so I can try to configure the RDAC to talk to these sensors?

I also have EC100, anyone wants all items (VM1000 screen fully working, DPU, EC100, MAP sensor and any other unused sensors) do make an offer for the lot.

Curr.JPG

FuelP.JPG

OilP.JPG

Do a search for VM1000 and then give Reggie a call. He provides support for VM1000 EMS systems, including parts and sensors.
Best,
Jerry

From what I've read the MGL is very adaptable. Can use K or J type temp sensors a variety of fuel flow, pressure... type sensors. MGL's web site has pretty good support. Go into support and search. Lots of info. Matt's very knowledgeable an reply's quickly. They do have their own current flow sensor but I don't think it's more than $50?

Last edited:
Yes, very familiar with MGL, already built two panels with MGL. Was wondering about these VM1000 specific sensors and if anyone have their data sheet so i can adopt them rather than buying new sensors.

Anyway, already took the unit out and someone offered me a half decent offer and they will take the whole lot with the 4 mentioned sensors. Thanks for your reply.

VM1000 Oil Temp & OAT Sensors

I have already replied to Rob offline on this thread, but for anyone else who's interested ... the legacy VM1000 and EPI-800 systems use a very unique isolated microcurrent 10M ohm thermistor for oil and outside air temp sensing, these type sensors are very accurate and stable across a wide range of conditions. Unfortunately, they are somewhat pricey and the industry moved toward thermocouple technology for the bulk of sensing requirements. So the bottom line is legacy VMS oil and air temp sensors are not compatible with any of the popular engine monitoring systems of today. Most of the other VMS sensors (EGT, CHT, RPM, and pressures) are generally compatible for reuse with newer systems.

Back