What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

swivel tail wheel

dan carley

Well Known Member
I have the original tail wheel on my rv4 and would like to convert it to a swivel tail. I've heard of a few different ways. i'm a little confused what do I have to do to convert it can anyone explain how it's done

thank you
dan carley

Dan,
The factory tailspring you have can be cut off, and the full swivel option sold from VANs can be drilled/bolted to it. Caution to keep alignment must be observed . There are several other aftermarket tailwheels that are out there also, some that use the existing spring rod, others that are the whole assembly . I have same set up as you, but have resisted going full swivel because I just love the simple positive control from the basic model...only drawback is not being able to push the plane backwards.

Dan,

I converted my very early 4. I went with JD Airparts tailwheel as I considered it superior to all the others. Instead of bushing the vertical shaft there is a needle bearing and a sealed ball below it. Jay (the owner) is super to work with. I sent him my existing tailspring. He cut it and did the machining returning it with his tailwheel installed. Everything (including my tailwheel spring) came back powder coated and beautiful. He has a great product, does great work, is reasonably priced and is a sponsor of this site. JDair.com I'm not associated with the business, just a very satisfied customer. PM for details if you like.

One note...

Dan,
The factory tailspring you have can be cut off, and the full swivel option sold from VANs can be drilled/bolted to it. Caution to keep alignment must be observed . There are several other aftermarket tailwheels that are out there also, some that use the existing spring rod, others that are the whole assembly . I have same set up as you, but have resisted going full swivel because I just love the simple positive control from the basic model...only drawback is not being able to push the plane backwards.

One thing to add from The Fixin Flyin Guy,
I had a single bolt (vertically), and it failed. During the repair, I thought it would be much better to have a second bolt horizontally drilled.
A vertical bolt is stressed with every flex of the spring.

It took 3 high-quality drill bits, 2 guys, drilling with a jig for over an hour to get through the spring. Oh boy.

I suggest you have plenty of drill bits at hand.

Daddyman

Back