What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What tools for wheel pants?

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I have been fighting the nose wheel wheel pant, trying to finish the edges that mate with each other. It seems like any tool I try is not the right one. What have others used to get the two parts to mate and look good?

I have been fighting the nose wheel wheel pant, trying to finish the edges that mate with each other. It seems like any tool I try is not the right one. What have others used to get the two parts to mate and look good?

Tape a sheet of sandpaper to a flat surface, and slide the nose section around on it until the edge is straight. Now cover the edge with some clear packing tape. Rough up the flange on the tail section with 80 grit (or a pass through the bead blast cabinet), then cleco the nose cone into place. Now fill the seam with a mix of epoxy, micro, a little flox, and a little cabosil. When it cures you'll have a matched edge.

I had success with a b@st@rd file, then I matched the forward half to it. Should you want the forward half flat, I placed a sheet of sand paper on the floor pushed and pulled the cone to sand it even.
Best success

Last edited:
As I recall, the nose wheel pant was the worst fitting part in the kit. It took a lot of massaging to get a decent fit. Dan has the right advice.

Wow Dan, that was the help I was looking for. I am sure if I messed up several pair of pants I would have figured that out for myself, maybe:eek:

Tape a sheet of sandpaper to a flat surface, and slide the nose section around on it until the edge is straight. Now cover the edge with some clear packing tape. Rough up the flange on the tail section with 80 grit (or a pass through the bead blast cabinet), then cleco the nose cone into place. Now fill the seam with a mix of epoxy, micro, a little flox, and a little cabosil. When it cures you'll have a matched edge.

Tools

Got myself a set of Perma-Grit tools for the fibreglass work. Cuts through like a knife through butter and with the different tools very accurate.

Got myself a set of Perma-Grit tools for the fibreglass work. Cuts through like a knife through butter and with the different tools very accurate.

+1 !!!
Stanley makes these for the states. I have an old flat one and it has saved many many pieces of expensive 80 grit paper. Still cuts like new.

Avery once carried them.

Back