VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-21-2016, 03:24 PM

Talking The Rock

Off the coast of Newfoundland there is a French enclave. Two islands Saint Pierre and Miquelon both have nice airports. Both claim to be stunning tourist destinations. So scarce intel was pieced together, a crew member found, couple calls made and up we went against the time on a cool May day northwest bound.

The flight was uneventful. We had a breakfast in Massachusetts then refueled at Wiscasset Maine. From there we were on course to Prince Edwards Island but encountered some clouds loaded with hard water and diverted to Stanley, NS. There we topped off with $2 a liter avgas and continued our journey.

The trip wouldn't be possible without my copilot. I met him several years ago on an airliners' web board and he is qualified to fly my RV from the left seat. Amazing fellow! Private pilot with instrument rating, fluent in French. But this time he preferred right seat.

Not much to see for now...

Another 15 minutes and we see a land. New found land!

Very impressive rocky landscape of Newfoundland.

We dropped under the layer, found our islands and flew feet wet for couple minutes. A French controller told us to report the field in sight.

Field in sight. You are cleared to land. Welcome to France!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 06-27-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:26 PM

Tower instructed us where to park, we took our bags and went inside the terminal. A gendarme/immigration clerk and 4 customs officers (all four had the same name embroidered at their uniform - Duane) spent some quality time talking to us about the purpose of the visit. Then about airplane then about travel experience... well before we knew an hour passed by...

It's now after hours and fueler got his overtime charge. Two credit cards didn't worked but the third took the hit. That was the bill for avgas.

After fueling I was allowed to reposition my RV by the tiedown rings. Previously visited aircrafts reported no tiedowns but there are several and they are closer to the big hangar.

A cabbie from the hotel picked us up. We could easily walk but those bags... cost us some euros to transport.

The only 4 star hotel on the island - Jacques Cartier we made reservations couple weeks prior. Very nice boutique hotel.

Last edited by Vlad : 06-22-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:26 PM

We settled in the room and immediately felt hunger.

Our prowl for food started. Last meal was in Massachusetts about 10 hours ago. There are a few good restaurants on the island but nearly all of them require reservations for dinner. It means a restaurant is empty there is a killer food smell but the waitress apologizes for no vacant tables. Wow!

Nothing helped. We asked locals they pointed us to a place it's booked. My copilot met a Berber countryman at a seafood joint but he said sorry nothing for today come tomorrow around noon we are serving lobsters. Well, at least we secured tomorrow's lunch.

We crisscrossed the little town couple times before we found this pizza place. No reservations needed but to get these precious pies we waiter for almost 1 hour. We couldn't finish the pizzas, took leftovers to the hotel and never touched them again.

A last glimpse of sunshine and clouds covered the territory. Forecast for tomorrow wasn't promising.

We are not going anywhere.

Last edited by Vlad : 06-22-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 AM

"Both claim to be stunning tourist destinations."

Really? I've never been, but I've looked into it, and I never found any such claims ... might still be fun to go for the challenge and the uniqueness of it, but I'm not sure about the "touristy" nature of the place!
Current Piper Warrior PA-28-151 Owner/Pilot
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.sling4.ninja
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Продолжение следует...
Quote:
Далi буде...
I had to enlist the help of my Ukrainian friend. To be continued.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 AM

Any sign of Nungesser and Coli?
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 520+ hours (as of July 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
It's now after hours and fueler got his overtime charge. Two credit cards didn't worked but the third took the hit. That was the bill for avgas.

After fueling I was allowed to reposition my RV by the tiedown rings. Previously visited aircrafts reported no tiedowns but there are several and they are closer to the big hangar.
OUCH, So if I've got this right, that was US $271.41 for about 35 Gallons of gas... you were on fumes Buddy. Nice trip report as always Vlad, looks like a trip Deb & I need to go on sometime. A Northeast fall foliage trip.
Airport Landings

"In order to discover new lands one must have the courage to lose sight of the shore." Andre Gide

"Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) in The Edge

"There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation - a state of bliss"
Old 06-22-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 339A View Post
OUCH, So if I've got this right, that was US $271.41 for about 35 Gallons of gas... you were on fumes Buddy. Nice trip report as always Vlad, looks like a trip Deb & I need to go on sometime. A Northeast fall foliage trip.
Scott I filled two jar cans (11 gal) just in case. We were planning a stop where no fuel is available.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM

Wink Those four customs officers -

Are you sure their name wasn't Douane?

Cheers, David
Old 06-22-2016, 04:02 PM

Great write up Vlad. Keep them coming.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!