What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding brake pedals to a 6A

crpv22

I have recently purchased an RV-6A that has the floor mounted rudder pedals with brakes only on the LH side. I was wondering if I could add brakes to the RH side and what effort would it take?

My initial thoughts are...
1. Is this a good time to convert to hanging rudder pedals with dual brakes?
2. Just add RH side brakes to my existing configuration?
3. If I add them to my floor mounted pedals are parts for the RH side available?

I would like to have minimum downtime for the airplane as well.

I'm new to the community and really appreciate this forum already.

thanks all,

Brakes

Vans offers kits for both. It's not hard but does require time under the panel.

I'm adding copilot brakes to my flying rv6a as well. Though, I already have the hanging style rudder pedals... Build your new rudder pedals first. The rudder pedal kit from Van's needs to be drilled, prepped, primed, riveted and painted. There's no reason to take your flying airplane apart until this is done.

Getting the old rudder pedals out takes some contortions. You need to get fully under the panel to do it. It helps to remove the copilot stick, seats and seatbacks. Otherwise I have no good advice, it sucks getting down there and it's pretty uncomfortable.

That's all the farther I've gotten on mine, I might have more advice at the end of this weekend.

Best of luck!

Vern and James,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into the kits from Vans.

It definitely sounds like building up the replacement assemblies prior to taking the aircraft down is the way to go.

If anyone has advice on getting the old pedal assemblies out I'll take it!

Same boat

I have adding right side brakes on my list of to dos. I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it, but I'd be happy to help you with yours as a warm up for mine. I have the hanging type assembly. I don't know what a full change over would involve, but it may be a major hassle. I can second the comments on working under the panel- pain and misery. Give me a pm if I can help.

Back