What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gamin gmu 22 template

togaflyer

Well Known Member
As I wrap up the tail section, Im thinking on fabricating a mount for a Garmin gmu 22 magnetometer. Anyone know where I can get a template. Or a suggestion for a good mount on the market.

Stein has that bracket. It was pretty cheap(price) and works perfectly. Installed it in the second bulkhead back.

Yes, Stein's mount is a thing of beauty. Be aware, a pair of builders in Sedona had difficulties getting their 900X through Garmin's testing until they degaussed ferrous items in the tail (rudder cables and I don't know what else). Looking through the guidelines in the installation manual, there was no suitable location in the RV-10 airframe; it would have to fly formation about 6 feet outside the aircraft. I decided to try the wing tip, anyway, and hope to pass their testing but in the meantime they have dropped the requirement to certify their system for use in experimental aircraft. In practice, it seems the magnetometer works fine in our aircraft; their tests were more sensitive in order to have some margin and intended for G1000 certified installations. So, you shouldn't have problems but it would be wise to test the system with any equipment, like the elevator trims, powered up.

No problems with my install

I have a GMU 44 and the SteinAir bracket. It's mounted on the forward side of the tailcone bulkhead thats just aft of the rear seat belt attach points and static ports. Besides the AN
hardware for the seat belts, my ELT antenna is close by, there's the pitch trim servo less than 2 feet behind, and the autopilot pitch servo and my transponder less than 3 feet forward. I conducted the calibration tests per the install manual and it passed without issue on the ground and has since performed flawlessly in the air.

Mounted mine about where Auburntsts indicates. However I am immediately in front of the bulkhead which is fwd of the static ports. It is 2 feet from my Aerosport air handler, but I only plan to cycle that once or twice during flight. I built an aluminum support that extends side to side, placed a 6" x 6" platform on that with a round hole in the center within which I mount the magnetometer.

Back