What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Lock nuts

On the final install of a bolt with a locknut, what ever its location may be, is their any reason to use any lock tight on the threads, or are these type of nuts plenty secure? One example might be the electric boost pump by your left foot where access is limited. Who wants to stand on their head to mess with those bolts. Would rather feel confident that they will not move. Any opinions or ideas always welcome. I appreciate everyone's responses. Bill in Idaho.

Locknuts are generally used only on non-rotating parts, and with no other locking mechanism like locktite. Connections subject to rotational loads are usually secured with cotter pins, safety wire, etc.

Don't bother with locktite. Use the hardware as called out in the plans. More importantly, torque to proper specs. A common mistake is to over-rated fasteners. I've seen a few cases of locktite used on canopy fasteners. The canopies were destroyed due to crazing. It's best to keep the stuff away from these airplanes unless specifically called out for.

I would highly suggest platenuts in that area anyway. When you are standing on your head removing that boost pump...and eventually you will, having to manipulate two tools instead of one is going to make you crazy.

Back