What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 monster retreads

Gary 40274

Well Known Member
I ordered a set of monster retreads but I can't see any way they will fit inside the wheel pants.

Has anyone retrofitted them successfully

Gary

I wasn't aware that they offered Monster are treads for the 15x600-6 tires. I know they are offered for the 500-5 and the 600-6. Is there any way you got the 600-6 by accident?

They have retreads, just not the monster retreads. I've never seen Monsters in the 15x size.

Its been a while, but Im pretty sure they were "monster" retreads. Though when I sold the airplane a couple years ago, they were not available. I thought it was a limited availability thing. I installed "regular" retreads for the new owner.

However, My last set of tires for the Rocket was done directly through Desser. I had a buddy drop off my old carcasses and a week later had new "monster" tread installed. You might call them and see if they will do your old tires directly.

Back to OP: I know some (many?) builders increased the size of the opening in the wheel pants, for fear that any sidewall flex on a less than great landing would result in contact between tire and pant. If your pants were built per plans it would not surprise me if there is inadequate clearance for a retread which is larger than the OEM tire. Not hard to enlarge the opening.

Back