What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stabilizer Mounting

wfinnell

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I had a visit from a -7 builder today and we had a brief moment of confusion while discussing horizontal stabilizer attachment. I am about to drill the attach holes on my RV-8 and I'm trying to avoid screwing this up (too).

It is my understanding that the RV-7 has the vertical stabilizer mounted at a slight angle relative to the fuselage centerline and on the RV-8 the vertical stabilizer is mounted parallel with the centerline. I believe this is correct, can anyone confirm or deny?

If this is correct, does anyone know why the difference between the -7 and the -8?

Thank you in advance,

Bill, I don't know a thing about the RV-8 but I can confirm that with the RV-7's the leading edge of the VS is offset 1/4" to the left. I marked the centerline on my fuselage and the 1/4" offset on some tape to help with the positioning, at the time when I did this. If the RV-8 is different, I don't know why that would be the case. Perhaps others can comment as well.

100_7879%20(Small).JPG

Been a while..

The 8 VS is kept straight. Offset is integrated with the engine mount.

I do not know about the 7, but this is the way we put the V.S. on the 8 buy the plans and homework done with regard to putting in a little offset.
It is as has been said not needed on the 8. All of my friends with 8's have had no problem with the V.S. being on the centerline, front to back as well...
Yours. R.E.A. III # 80888

If this is correct, does anyone know why the difference between the -7 and the -8?

It is correct.
It is because the 8 came before the 9, and the 9 before the 7. The offset vertical wasn't implemented until the 9.
You could do it on an 8 (I did it on my 6a) but you would have to do a major mod. on the emp fairing

Back