That notice was posted 2/13/2017
Hopefully we will get an update soon.

See post #370
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...avworx&page=37
2017 Donation Paid
Old 10-02-2017, 01:41 PM

Default NavWorx ADS600-EXP update

October 2 2017

Today I called the NavWorx technical department and talked about the FAA AD on the ADS600-EXP unit. This is a summary of my conversation.

NavWorx is caught up by the FAA which claims that the Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring (RAIM) in their internal GPS receiver is inadequate. Never mind that the NavWorx unit has passed every accuracy test, the FAA contention is that in some apocalyptic situation with sunspots or military interference or whatever, the system might be using corrupted GPS data without the RAIM being able to detect that. The result is that the Signal Integrity Level (SIL,) which is an ADS-B (Out) broadcast data byte, is insufficient. If the SIL were to be set appropriately (according to the FAA) to 0, it would block traffic and weather from being received making the ĖIN virtually useless. The FAA has issued an AD which applies to the experimental version as well as to the certified version.

NavWorx issued a Service Bulletin http://www.navworx.com/ServiceBulletinEXP060000.pdf which instructed owners of the ADS600-EXP to download software 6.0.0 or 7.0.0. The bulletin also states that 7.0.0 requires an external GPS receiver part number 200-8112. As of the date of this writing, neither the software nor the GPS receiver is listed on the NavWorx website. I called the NavWorx technical department to sort all this out.

I was directed to the website www.dallasavionics.com (apparently one of the installation arms of NavWorx) where we can order the external GPS. It is $299.00 and will be produced in a limited production run and only available until Dec 1 2017. A purchaser will not be charged until it is shipped. The GPS module will not require any additional wiring changes and will be "Daisy Chained in Series" with the existing system using existing ADS600-EXP system wiring and connectors. I was advised to place the order early.

The software is not released yet, even though the bulletin says that it is available on the NavWorx website. That website is really messed up with links pointing all over the place and at least two pages nearly identical to each other. I was told that the author of the website is trying to extricate himself from the effects of Hurricane Irma in Florida.

What happens if we donít do this? Well, probably nothing unless we are ramp-checked or have some other verification test. But we will not be in compliance until this is done.

Before I spend another $300 on my system, I would appreciate thoughts and inputs from others in the same situation.

GordonR
Old 10-02-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonR View Post
October 2 2017

Today I called the NavWorx technical department and talked about the FAA AD on the ADS600-EXP unit. This is a summary of my conversation.

NavWorx is caught up by the FAA which claims that the Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring (RAIM) in their internal GPS receiver is inadequate. Never mind that the NavWorx unit has passed every accuracy test, the FAA contention is that in some apocalyptic situation with sunspots or military interference or whatever, the system might be using corrupted GPS data without the RAIM being able to detect that. The result is that the Signal Integrity Level (SIL,) which is an ADS-B (Out) broadcast data byte, is insufficient. If the SIL were to be set appropriately (according to the FAA) to 0, it would block traffic and weather from being received making the ĖIN virtually useless. The FAA has issued an AD which applies to the experimental version as well as to the certified version.

NavWorx issued a Service Bulletin http://www.navworx.com/ServiceBulletinEXP060000.pdf which instructed owners of the ADS600-EXP to download software 6.0.0 or 7.0.0. The bulletin also states that 7.0.0 requires an external GPS receiver part number 200-8112. As of the date of this writing, neither the software nor the GPS receiver is listed on the NavWorx website. I called the NavWorx technical department to sort all this out.

I was directed to the website www.dallasavionics.com (apparently one of the installation arms of NavWorx) where we can order the external GPS. It is $299.00 and will be produced in a limited production run and only available until Dec 1 2017. A purchaser will not be charged until it is shipped. The GPS module will not require any additional wiring changes and will be "Daisy Chained in Series" with the existing system using existing ADS600-EXP system wiring and connectors. I was advised to place the order early.

The software is not released yet, even though the bulletin says that it is available on the NavWorx website. That website is really messed up with links pointing all over the place and at least two pages nearly identical to each other. I was told that the author of the website is trying to extricate himself from the effects of Hurricane Irma in Florida.

What happens if we donít do this? Well, probably nothing unless we are ramp-checked or have some other verification test. But we will not be in compliance until this is done.

Before I spend another $300 on my system, I would appreciate thoughts and inputs from others in the same situation.

GordonR
This is old news covered by at least two other threads on VAF.

The FAA is capable of determining who has an operational Navwork unit. The question then becomes how proactive are they at enforcing the AD. I'm not sure that's a bet I would be willing to take.

Unfortunately for the EXP unit, there isn't much of a choice. You must upgrade if you have an EXP. There are other options for the ADS600-B.

Scott just communicated the status to everyone in the queue waiting for updates last week. You can read it here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...3&postcount=46
Old 10-02-2017, 11:32 PM

Is there a date from which -EXP units sold new will be in compliance as delivered? The email that Bob posted states that new -EXP units will have a new part number, and implies that the new part number units will be in compliance as delivered.

What is unclear is whether those new units will include the daisy-chained external certified GPS source which is being developed as a remedy for the existing units, or whether there will be a new design that will incorporate the new certified GPS source internally? If external, will it be bundled in the purchase price, or sold separately?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 470 in 8 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
Old 10-03-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Is there a date from which -EXP units sold new will be in compliance as delivered? The email that Bob posted states that new -EXP units will have a new part number, and implies that the new part number units will be in compliance as delivered.

What is unclear is whether those new units will include the daisy-chained external certified GPS source which is being developed as a remedy for the existing units, or whether there will be a new design that will incorporate the new certified GPS source internally? If external, will it be bundled in the purchase price, or sold separately?
You have access to the same information the rest of us have.

From reading the information on the web site, it appears that there are two solutions. An upgrade for existing users with an external gps and a new purchase option which appears to have an internal gps.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Default Just noticed this

On the Dallas site . This is a copy and paste.
Update: 9/28/2017

Attention: Customers Awaiting ADS600-B Upgrade & Certified ADS600-B NexGen 2.0

During a recent meeting between the FAA and NavWorx, the FAA has requested additional data from NavWorx referencing the upgrade for AD compliance of the certified system. Once this data is submitted the FAA has conservatively given a time period of 2 months to review.

Be assured that it is a priority for NavWorx to complete certification, not only for AD compliance but for 2020 Compliance as well.

We understand the urgency and frustration that may result with this delay. Be assured that NavWorx is working diligently to reach final certification.

To ensure customers are up to date on NavWorx progress during this time frame, Dallas Avionics, Inc. will send out updates periodically.

Attention: NavWorx ADS600-EXP GPS Module for AD Compliance (P/N 200-9013)

NavWorx has received FAA approval for the experimental GPS Module "Doghouse" for AD resolution/compliance of existing ADS600-EXP Systems.

The part number of the ADS600-EXP will change to 200-9013, with the addition of the new GPS module, eliminating the AD on the original ADS600-EXP 200-8013 part numbers. No AMOC is required nor will be issued.

NavWorx has completed all design and verification to 14 CFR 91.227 and is waiting for shipment of the new GPS module from the manufacturer.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM

"NavWorx has received FAA approval for the experimental GPS Module "Doghouse" for AD resolution/compliance of existing ADS600-EXP Systems."

From this I understand that the doghouse add-on being offered for sale by DallasAvionics for $299 has already received FAA approval, and those of us with installed ADS600-EXP units may confidently purchase this add-on and be in 2020 compliance.

Is that also the understanding of other members of this forum? I would not like to spend another $300 and still be undecided on compliance.

GordonR
Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 AM

That's my understanding. So now there's two of us.

John Allen
Old 10-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Thumbs down Mo Money?

I'm thinking that I'd do better to toss my brand new EXP into the trash can (and forget about this fiasco) rather than spend another dime with Bill. But, I digress...and will wait a little longer.