- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2016, 06:50 PM

Default alternator and generator

I have a 60 amp alternator with a 10 amp generator and single battery. The generator fuse is pulled and only pushed in if the alternator fails. It will run one gps/com, transponder and LED nav lights. I have a back up battery on my dynon and aera 560. My son designed the system and I haven't checked it yet, but according to an electrician that installed the generator it does work.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
For an airplane with all electric fuel pumps and ignitions, what are the pros and cons of each option?
What ignition system are you installing? If you are going to use P-mags, then there is no electrical load, other thsn for starting.

The rest of your electrical system only needs to keep your fuel pump(s), Nav gear and EFIS alive. There is no need for a radio, transponder, etc. as there are standard procedures for dealing with those outages.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-30-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos151 View Post
60 amp main alternator, SD8 standby alternator on vacuum pad, one battery. Split Main bus and Emergency bus. Aeroelectric book has the setup in one of their diagrams. No time limit this way as with a battery.
Hello my friends, does anybody have the diagram and or pictures of how and where install each component of the diagram?? And a picture of the switches into the cockpit...
I am installing in my RV-7 the dual alternator, single battery shown in Aeroelectric book. I bought all the list of materials in B&C, and I’m installing the full FlyEFII system.
It will help a lot if anybody shows a picture of the installation! Thanks!
Van’s RV-7
Aerosport Power WildCat IO-382
Dual FlyEFII
Old 09-30-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Palmer View Post
Hi Erich,

It’s Bob Nuckolls (spelling). Through Aeroelectric Connection and his various articles, Bob has contributed a tremendous amount to experimental aviation. I’m somewhat following Bob’s z14j architecture myself substituting an SD-8 for the auxiliary 20-amp alternator and inserting the EFII Bus Manager into that architecture. Bob is definitely one of our “good guys!”

That being said, just because Bob offers a schematic, that doesn’t mean that there might not be component issues associated with the schematic that you need to research and understand yourself. Yes, the electrons will keep flowing from the alternators if the battery fails, but, as Robert correctly mentions, the alternators in absence of a battery deliver a wave form that some electronics like avionics or ignitions may not like. Yes, most will keep operating, but possibly with signal (noise) problems or other issues. Components like lights or fuel pumps are usually not as sensitive.

I should mention that Robert Paisley is an Electrical Engineer (Cal Poly) and has decades of experience designing, producing, and testing fuel and ignition systems for motorcycles, cars, and, over the past decade, aircraft. He definitely knows what he is talking about and is one of our “good guys,” too. Rather than posting a “put down” here on VAF requiring a response or pitting one experimental aviation “good guy” against another, it might be best to call or send a PM or email first. Assuming that Bob would disagree with Robert is a real stretch and is probably not the case.

Robert’s (EFII’s) phone is 951-317-3473, you can PM him here on VAF via rcpaisley, and EFII’s email is info@flyefii.com.

I hope this helps,
Hi my friend, do you have the diagram of how to insert the bus manager into the dual alt single battery architecture?
Van’s RV-7
Aerosport Power WildCat IO-382
Dual FlyEFII
Old 10-13-2017, 05:09 AM

Default Single main battery, dual alternators, EFIS backup battery

I have a Plane Power 60A belt driven alternator that runs at 14.4 volts, and now the Plane Power 30A vacuum pad driven backup alternator that runs at 13.6 volts. The backup alternator does nothing while the primary alternator is supplying power. If the primary would shut down, then the backup starts to make current. I can test the backup by opening the primary field breaker and then see the voltage drop to 13.6 and verify charging current from the backup alternator. I use an AGM Harley Davidson motorcycle battery which I just replaced after four years of faithful service. I also have a backup battery just for the pilot side Dynon EFIS. This is nice for starting the engine by booting the EFIS from the backup battery prior to turning on the Avionics Bus.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
For an airplane with all electric fuel pumps and ignitions, what are the pros and cons of each option?
Dual batteries, its easier and works best.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!