VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM

Default RV-9A #91894 Bruce Hill

I am 2.5 years into building a slow build RV-9A. I'm located in Ramona, CA near San Diego.

I have many photos and commentary from the build on my website (see link in my signature), however the photos are arranged into galleries by section and it is not a chronological weblog. Having this new thread is a great idea to post an occasional status update as I progress towards completion.

I started the project in August of 2009 with the purchase of the Tail Kit.

I finished the tail kit in the 2 months that the Wing Kit was on order. The Wing Kit took about 6 months to complete.

The Fuselage Kit took me just about a year to complete.

I am now working on the Finish Kit. Canopy is about 85% done. Still need to bond the plexiglass to the frame and finalize the latching mechanisms and struts for the tip up. No engine or prop yet, so the Cowling and Firewall Forward work remains. I'm about half done with the electrical wiring. I'm getting ready to finalize my panel layout in the coming weeks. This is point in the build where everything you do is completely customizable. I haven't looked at the plans for months!

I have met a number of builders through VAF, and look forward to meeting more in the coming years. The shop is always open to new visitors, so if you find yourself in lower left corner of the US, please drop on by.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 PM

Bruce, I really enjoyed visiting with you when I was down there, and I'm enjoying these pictures, too! You're moving at a really fast pace. Wow!
Dues Proudly Paid for 2016
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Got to do some riveting today after a long time spent on wiring up the rear fuselage. I was able to get this riveting done solo. Helps to have long arms!

Inside view.

Seat belt harness cables installed.
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM

Talking Seat belt cables...

YIKES! I guess you really DO have long arms.

I also got to visit this project and it was GREAT! I'm about 2 years behind Bruce, and got a lot of great tips. Thanks for the help!

Dkb
"My greatest fear: What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about?"

TDAircraft.com
-July-
--------------------------------------------------
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Feeling beat up and bruised today! Getting those bolts in there was not fun, but I was able to stretch just enough to get it done without having to crawl into the rear fuselage. Still need to put some torque seal on those bolts.

I put the hardware that the plans call out on the harness cable clevis. Looks like this just floats/swivels on the anchoring point? Do I need to put any washers in there to fill the gap between the clevis and the anchoring point? I snugged up the nut on the AN4 bolt to where the threads run out.
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Static Lines

A very tidy installation. You may want to reconsider the location of your static line tee which is on the left side of the fuselage near the static port. I have read that the left and right lines to the tee should be of equal length so they provide equal differential pressure during left and right sideslips. I am planning to use a union Y fitting. It has a single port on one end and two ports on the other end with a bolt hole between the two ports. Then I can bolt it to the tooling hole in the middle of the bulkhead and run the left and right pitot lines up to it using one port on each side, and run the outlet port to the forward fuselage from the remaining port on the left side.

Couldn't post a picture but see this link:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...)/Union_Y/UY14
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Default Static...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrye View Post
You may want to reconsider the location of your static line tee which is on the left side of the fuselage near the static port. I have read that the left and right lines to the tee should be of equal length so they provide equal differential pressure during left and right sideslips.
Terry, are you serious? Would it make that much of a difference? You would think that since it is "static" it would be ok. I'm interrested in this if there is further info from you ar anyone. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 PM

Love the search function on VAF. I can usually find some topic like this that has been discussed. Here is the thread link.

I've looked at dozens of builder web sites and I haven't seen any that I can recall that centered the Tee on the static port. I guess if down the road there is an issue with static pressures being unbalanced, I'll fix it then.
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 AM

FWIW, I put my Tee fitting half way between the left and right static ports, physically located on the fuselage center line at the top of the bulkhead. But I have to admit that if that configuration willl give me more accurate readings in a slip, I'll take that, but that's not what I was thinking about at the time. My main motivation for placing the Tee high up on bulkhead was to minimize the possibility of water intrusion into the line that runs from the Tee to the cockpit.
www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Default Panel thoughts

Spent some time trying to figure out the layout of my instrument panel. I haven't bought a COMM radio yet, so that would take up some space between the Dynon Skyview display on the left and the Garmin 796 in the middle. I like the MGL V6, but would like to see what Dynon is going to bring out for their COMM. Switches under the Skyview display just barely fit. Need to play around with some scraps and make a template for the switches. Standard toggles with the half circle guards between them. I have no idea on how I will label this stuff, but want it to look clean and professional. Starter key switch on the far left. At this point I don't have anything planned for the circular spaces (except maybe the V6 COMM). The Skyview display on the right is also just a place holder. I'll probably leave that blank and put an iPad there for inflight entertainment. Another possibility would be to get a SV-D700 on that side. On the far right is the Hobbs meter, ELT remote and some 12V auxiliary power ports. Three LED lights over the SV screen for EMS warning, low volt warning and boost pump. Still have some things to buy before I start cutting any holes in the panel. For now I'm just trying to get the spacing laid out so that I can get the forward fuselage ribs that hold the center of the panel reattached to the subpanel. I also need to put the tipup canopy frame back on here and see if there is good visibility and clearance for all of the panel items.
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor