VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM

Default RV-7 #74023

I'm already: 1)Dating and checking the boxes in the build manual, 2)Doing a Picasa Web Album and 3)Doing a Kitlog. Now this! If I can't prove I'm building this thing, I'll give up!

The Journey Begins
I broke out the vixen file and radiused the edges of the HS reinforcement bars on December 17, 2011 - 108 years to the day after Orville and Wilbur first separated themselves from their shadow in a powered airplane.

Two days short of 3 months later, I plan to roll and rivet the leading edge and drop the trim servo in the left elevator tonight and call the metalwork on the empennage done (for now). This elevator is rougher than I'd like and I'm seriously considering having Van's throw a new skin and trim tab parts in the SB wing or fuselage kit I'm expecting in about 2 weeks.

A few shots of the journey so far...
Rivet #1:

Evidence of an understanding wife:

Poundin' those rivets...
SB Fuselage Just Past QB Stage

Construction Log
Picasa: Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 07-30-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Updated links to re-organized Picasa Album
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM

Who's taking the pictures, your hired gun?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerhed View Post
Who's taking the pictures, your hired gun?
No self-respecting pro would be caught dead in my shop. If I'm not in the photo, I took it. If I am in it, the photo credit would go to my Chief Cook, Bottle Washer, and Navigator Karen.

Construction Log

Old 03-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Default One Step Back...

Due to several errors in bending the tabs on the elevator and trim tab (caused by poorly fabricated bending blocks), I'm joining the do-over club. It was nothing filler probably wouldn't have corrected, but it just didn't sit well with me. Yesterday I faxed an order for a new left elevator skin, trim spar, trim tab parts, and stiffeners, to be delivered with my wing and fuselage kits due in a couple of weeks.

Today I drilled out 125 rivets to liberate the skeleton and trim servo reinforcement from the skin. I didn't even try to drill out the monel blind rivets in the trim spar, and I didn't feel like the stiffeners were worth the effort of drilling them all out. All went well, except for a minor amount of bloodshed (see below) and all the holes still hold silver clecos.

The gap is 3/32 on the bottom and 1/4" on top, and the trailing edge of the trim tab is slightly crimped.

Skeleton and trim servo reinforcement liberated from the skin.

I drilled my first hole in an RV part way back in 1998, and this is the first time I've managed to drill a hole in a finger. It happened when I was trying to "walk" the 1/16" bit toward the center of a rivet when it broke, and the end left in the drill found my left index finger. Fortuately I had the drill turning very slowly and I don't think it penetrated more than 1/8". So I have made the jump from Those-That-Will to Those-That-Have.

Construction Log

Last edited by longranger : 04-27-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Updated links to re-organized Picasa Album
Old 03-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Default bucking post

In the picture of you pounding the rivets in what looks like the elevator, you have what looks like a bucking post. That looks like a great idea. Do you have a picture of it or can you give me a quick rundown on what you did? I have the plans already running through my head, but a picture always helps!

Thanks. I am pretty close in my build to where you are but haven't ordered my fuselage kit yet. I think Im going with qb wings and regular build fuselage.

Thanks, rockwood
Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 PM

Rockwood,

That's the trailing edge of the rudder I'm working on in that picture. I'm using a 3lb bucking bar from Avery to do the initial partial set of the double-flush rivets. I used the same bar with the mushroom set to do the final setting of the rivets, but had to move the bar further under to rudder to prevent hitting it directly. The bar is what I've seen in some build logs to back rivet wing and fuselage skins. Here's my kitlog entry for riveting the rudder trailing edge.

Closeup showing some fully set rivets. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Construction Log

Last edited by longranger : 04-09-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Updated links to re-organized Picasa album
Old 03-18-2012, 11:23 PM

Default nice bucking bar

Miles,

Thanks for the info. I can see exactly what it looks like and I think it is a great bar to have. I thought it was a post that went all the way to the ground. I kind of like the idea of taking that bar, maybe threading the back end and mounting it to a post or pipe welded to a plate that sits on the ground. You could move it around and it would be a solid, moveable bucking stand. From my limited experience, the more solid, the easier it is to make a good rivet.

I think I will see what I can come up with. I have a 5-1/2"x30"v3/8" plate I polished for a backriveting, but sometimes clecos get in the way. I do like the shape of the one in your picture and it looks like it works great by itself.

Thanks for the info and pictures.

rockwood
Old 04-09-2012, 01:10 AM

Default Wing and Fuselage Kits Arrive!

The looooong trailer and truck driven by Mike from Partain. He couldn't get the trailer down my cul-de-sac, so he parked on an adjacent street. Fortunately, I live at the end.

Me at the end of the spar box, with RV-7 builder/flyer Hal Lyons assisting in the middle, and Mike in the trailer. The big box on the floor just forward of the door looks like somone's finish kit. My fuselage kit is up on the overhang.

We look disturbingly like pallbearers carrying the wing skins box. Many thanks to my neighbor Dennis Lodge and his family for allowing me to disturb their backyard Easter picnic to recruit help! That's Mike (Partain driver) on the front left corner.

The first production RV-14 Quick Build Fuselage on its way to its proud new owner!

Mike was kind enough to take the fuselage kit to the airport for me so it will be out of the way during the wing build. I cracked open the crate just to take a look. Good thing I did, as my left elevator parts re-order was in there. I hope to get back out to the hangar for an inventory sometime this week.

Construction Log

Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Default Wing Kit Inventory.

Why wait! Yesterday, I cracked the tops off of the crates, then Karen came out and we spent a bit over a couple of hours unpacking the crates, checking off the 6-page packing list, and storing the parts. We got through all the parts and through the hardware as far as accounting for the bags but not the contents. I'll do that as I organize the parts into bins later this week.

Well-packed, and nary a mark in transit (Partain, of course). The main wing spars are in the far end of the long narrow crate. That's ONE piece of paper wadded up between the spars and the crate top. It filled my empty 30-gal trash can all by itself.

I know this is a well-worn phrase, but those spars are works of art! Too bad they aren't countersunk before anodizing.

Karen, my trusty inventory clerk. The shelf brackets on the wall will hold the spar crate with the longerons, aileron push-pull tube material, etc. prior to use. I did that on my HRII project and it worked great. Note the bag of bags of hardware...

All bags accounted for, but contents verification will wait a day or two.

Wing kit inventory complete. All parts that would fit are on shelves organized by assembly (tanks, flaps, ailerons, etc.) I'm leaving the wing skins and spars in the box for now. Note the overflowing trash can in the background. That's AFTER I stuffed the outdoor bin full. Thankfully Monday is trash day.

That big pile of paper in the shop just looked like a fire waiting to happen, so I stuffed it in my trusty '97 Saturn and took it to the dumpster at the airport. That's a LOT of paper!

Construction Log

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Default RV-7

Hey Miles, keep up that enthusiasm. Maybe you can fly it to LMO. Just remember do something on it everyday no matter how small the task may be. The next thing you know, its complete.