Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-23-2017, 10:47 PM

Default RV-7 Andrew Z #73658

Hello, everyone.

Years ago, I started my build, and started documenting it at my builder's log, but love the idea of also documenting it here, for posteriety.

I'll try not to flood the forums with posts.
2017 Dues Paid
Old 08-23-2017, 10:48 PM

Default 8/21/2009

Welcome to the site, and welcome to the first post. Over the last few weeks I've been starting to contemplate the dream of owning my own aircraft, and I think I am going to pull the trigger on it.

Anyway, I headed over to the Van's Aircraft website and ordered the preview plans for the RV-7/7A.

At $55 (plus shipping), I didn't think this was money poorly spent to get the chance to read through the builder's manual, see a set of 11x17 plans, and start planning out equipment, systems, modifications, etc. Ordering the Preview Plans actually seems like less of a commitment than getting this site set up. I'm not sure what that means about my commitment.

Over the next few months, I'll be getting ready to order the empennage. Now I'm just waiting for the delivery guy...
2017 Dues Paid
Old 08-23-2017, 10:50 PM

Default 8/27/2009

Last night, the preview plans arrived. They include some welcome pages, an RVator sample, a Van’s accessories catalog, the construction manual, and all the plans from the project printed on 11″ x 17″ paper. They come in a big grey binder.

I sat the binder on the table and stood back and looked at it thinking, “I bet this binder really doesn’t convey the enormity of what I am getting myself into.” After staring for a few minutes, I decided to dive in. I made it through the introductory pages and contruction techniques sections before heading to bed. I’ll start reading the actual construction manual this week and next.

Here’s the plan: the first time through, I just want an overview. The second time through, I am planning on outlining what tools, supplies, etc. I need and when I need them by adding a sheet behind appropriate pages and keeping a list. We’ll see how that goes. I’m trying not to buy tools needed only for the finish kit before building the empennage. More later…
2017 Dues Paid
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 PM

Against some advice, I opted for the eBay purchase of a Rivet gun:

Chicago Pneumatic 4x Rivet Gun Riveter
Model: CP4444 RUTAB
Comes with AN470 3/32", 1/8", 5/32" & 3/16" Rivet Sets
3 Flush Sets
2 Rivet Set Retaining Springs
1 Conavair Aircraft Bucking Bar

August 31 update:

The rivet gun showed up, was in great shape, and after a few tries against the bucking bar, I believe I have determined that it works. How long it will last, however, is another story. I am happy for now that I have a gun that works and that it didn't break the bank.
2017 Dues Paid
Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 PM

Pull out one of the fuse drawings and look for a busy one, now start at the top and try and decipher every detail, every note, every rivet call out ect, by the time you get here there will be little hand holding and a lot of attention needs to go into these drawings, I would take one or two to work and study them when I had a chance....for hours....and of course all the info on here. Have fun!