- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM

Default Advice needed: Oshkosh 2017 accomodation off-site

Hello All on VAF!

I've been to Oshkosh AirVenture for the first time in 2012, and got hooked on building a RV-8 then....

In 2017, I plan to come back, and this time I (almost) convinced my 74 years old Dad to come along on this "Father and Son" adventure...We would come by car all the way from Montreal, QC, Canada, about 17 hours drive.

On my first experience at Oshkosh in 2012, I stayed on site and slept in my small camping tent, surrounded by a village of RV's on wheels. This time, I can't really do that with my "Old man". I check out renting a RV on wheels, but quickly realized I'd rather put all that money on building my RV with wings instead....Dad says he will not go to Oshkosh if he doesn't sleep in a hotel room.

I need an advice here from those regular at AirVenture. Would you know where would be the best affordable location around Oshkosh to stay for 4-5 days during AirVenture ? Would it be too late at this time of year to make a reservation ? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414
Kitlog: http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/
Empennage: 95% (ready for inspection)
Fuselage: 90% (Canoe 2.0 in progress- Final Riveting)
Wings: Slow Build Wing Kit on the way from Van's - Delivery End Nov 17.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 PM

Not sure if this will help or if you are willing, but you may be able to get a room at the Ripon College.

I have not stayed there but have a friend that did 2-years ago and liked it better than the Dorms I stay at in Oshkosh.

I am sure others with more experience than I will report in with suggestions.

Best of Luck and Welcome to Oshkosh!
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Last edited by RV6_flyer : 04-27-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 PM

Default University dormitories

You can check out the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Dormitories. I went to the airventure.org and clicked on the plan your trip link. It sent me to https://stayeaa.com/ I put in a search for 15 miles and it listed the dormitories as an option. It's a few short miles away and they have bus service. Not sure what the availability is at this date, but there are links and phone numbers to follow up.
2017 dues paid
Old 04-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Default Valley Christian School

Valley Christian School is another option. Info on EAA website. Stayed there the past 12 or so years. No private rooms. 6-8 People per room. Rooms are air conditions. Free home made breakfasts and transportation to the airfield. Low cost home made dinners. All volunteers working there. Big fund raiser for the school. Houses about 100 people during the event. Lots of interesting people who stay there from all over the US and the rest of the world. During the early evenings the Clubcrafters fly out of the grass field across the street. They put on quite a high performance show. This campground airfield was featured in a episode of "The Aviators"

Paul Merems (EAA Tech Counselor, EAA Sheetmetal Workshop Instructor/Volunteer 12 yrs)
ExperimentalAero-HANGAR BANNERS
www.experimentalaero.com
RV-7A (Flying since 2010)/RV-4 (sold 1990)
Tucson, Arizona 85749
Old 05-03-2017, 07:14 PM

hotels.com
Old 05-03-2017, 07:25 PM

A hotel just came up in this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=149203
Milwaukee
Old 05-03-2017, 07:35 PM

Default Ripon College @ Fon du lac is my choice

A friend of mine and I have flown to Fon du Lac twice now and stayed at Ripon College in their dorm rooms. You can get either air conditioned or non air conditioned. Comes with a good breakfast buffet in the morning as part of the price. They also have a shuttle bus service to Oshkosh for a reasonable price that delivers you to the front gate. Saves a lot of walking.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Default Marian University @ Fond du Lac

Actually, the school in Fond du Lac is Marian University. All the other details are spot on, however. They do have a free breakfast, and there is a (slightly pricey, if you ask me) shuttle.

My wife and I have stayed at Marian for a number of years now, and rather like it. It is _not_ a hotel, though, and clearly has that "dorm room ambience" you'd expect. The showers are shared on the floors.

Be aware that some of the dorms are air conditioned, and others are not. We have stayed in the "Courtyard" area most times we have attended, and they are spartan but fine.

It is about a 20 mile drive to Osh, but the drive up 45 along lake Winnebago is quite pleasant. It also takes you right by the seaplane base.

Marian University ... highly recommended. Details at :

https://www.marianuniversity.edu/new...s/eaa-housing/
First Flight : September 2, 2013
-=2017 Dues Paid=-
Old 05-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Check the Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce website. There is a classified page that the locals post on when they are willing to rent a room in the house. I found it several years ago and have stayed with the same wonderful family every year since. 1/2 mile from the gate at Friar Tucks and their friendship has made the experience that much better each year.
https://youtu.be/mBpIBBEA9WM
http://youtu.be/IB4jLrx0gWg