- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Face Palm!!!

Well. The bright side is that I think I have enough material to write a book on what not to do in RV building! I've barely started the build and I'm sure the shipping dept at Van's knows my address of by heart and i'm on a first name basis with the fed ex guy. (We are having beers friday!)

I didn't think that I'd have to build a practice plane while I built the real one.
http://garetsrv.blogspot.ca/
Old 11-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Well...I guess that was short lived

It's official. I formally have given up trying to build this plane. Everytime I touch something on it, i've drilled it wrong, bent something, scratched it. The most frustrating part, is getting everything perfect and primed and then messing up riveting something and ruining the entire part. The sad thing is I haven't even constructed one full piece and I've spent more than $1000 in additional parts with shipping. I just do not have the skill or patience to work with aluminum.

Sucks.

By the way....I have a complete barely used Isham RV Tool set for sale.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:43 PM

Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Octaveus View Post
It's official. I formally have given up trying to build this plane. Everytime I touch something on it, i've drilled it wrong, bent something, scratched it. The most frustrating part, is getting everything perfect and primed and then messing up riveting something and ruining the entire part. The sad thing is I haven't even constructed one full piece and I've spent more than $1000 in additional parts with shipping. I just do not have the skill or patience to work with aluminum.

Sucks.

By the way....I have a complete barely used Isham RV Tool set for sale.
Garet
I'm sure you know what's best for you but I can only hope someone nearby will help. The beginning is frustrating. We all have scratches and dents. Unless you plan to polish, no one will know. We all have a pile of damaged parts. Your skills will improve. Please keep trying.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:46 PM

Default Thanks Wirejock

Thanks for the reassuring words Wirejock. It's been bugging me to let this defeat me so soon. Yeah...you are right...the guys at the EAA meetings are great, but maybe it's time to call in the cavalry and have them over to help a bit.

Kids don't teach you patience.....Building RV's do!!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:59 PM

Default Patience

Quote:
Thanks for the reassuring words Wirejock. It's been bugging me to let this defeat me so soon. Yeah...you are right...the guys at the EAA meetings are great, but maybe it's time to call in the cavalry and have them over to help a bit.

Boy there's some truth!
I wish I were closer. I would come by any time. If I can help, e-mail any time. We're building the same model.
Wirejock at yahoo dot com
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Glad to see you're back at it, Garet! Just know that you are not alone - just look at this community! Starting a build is nerve-wracking. Everything is new and it's easy to doubt yourself every step. Before long though, you'll gain confidence and find your groove. You'll be the one helping new builders before you know it! This hobby is definitely a marathon not a sprint, and you'll still periodically have to just walk away and take a break. But all and all, the rewards are so much more than the frustrations.

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 11-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Well I would disagree on the kids vs RV for learning patience! Even though mine are grown, you will always be a parent. You can always sell the kit.

Back to your situation. You mention attending the local EAA chapter meetings. This is an excellent way to network and find resources (other builders, information, etc.) I would also suggest to ask if there is a local EAA Tech Counselor, these people are very knowledgeable and can help you with the basics. From there, everybody pretty much learns as they go. And, as mentioned, practice on scrap x10! Buy the "Practice Project - Control Surface" if you haven't already and engage an EAA member to help you build it.

Your profile states you are an Electrical Engineer (I won't hold that against you ) so you will figure this out. Just remember to look back now and then to see what you have accomplished, that includes your family also.
Wings - completed
Fus ~99%
C172 Driver
VAF Dues - current

Last edited by aeroaddict : 11-14-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Ahhh Bustin my chops aeroaddict. LOL, Guess I need it now and then.

Well...The good news is that I pushed through the barrier and completed the VS. Its not 100% perfect as I had to use 2 oops rivets and I think my skin is a tad underdimpled, but I will say that I am fairly proud how it turned out. I was building up riveting the skin to be quite a bit more difficult than it turned out to be. I think I gained a bit of confidence back .

In hindsight, I've learned an absolute ton so far....I wish there was a handy Newbies guide to RV building that I could have referenced. Would have saved me a bunch of money and time (But I guess that would defeat the spirit of building an experimental/amateur built airplane...."for their own education or recreation")

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM

Default Success

Garet
Looks really great.
If it makes you feel any better, I just made scrap out of one of my flap spars. More parts for the junk pile.

I agree. I wish there was a "sticky" for gotchas and noobs on the 7 page.
Assuming you're moving on the the HS stab, I trust you've ordered the Service Bulletin parts, (unless they are already in your kit). Someone posted some errors in the SB instructions recently. You might want to search.
Build on
Disclaimer
Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Default Outstanding

Well done!

I would venture to say, no plane is perfect. At Osh, if you walk the homebuilts, look at the tail feathers. Since these parts are first built, you will notice "oops" rivets in a lot of them.

I also have a pile of parts, still using my scrap flap skin to make brackets.

To Wirejock's point, be sure to order the 'SB' kit for the HS stab. Build on.
Wings - completed
Fus ~99%
C172 Driver
VAF Dues - current