VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 PM

Default RV-7A Garet's RV project

Hi All, Thought I would formally introduce myself here. This is my first RV (In fact first any kind of plane) and a total newbie when it comes to building real planes. I've grown up around planes as my father was an Air Traffic Controller for his entire career and he also had his private pilots license. In my late teen's though the family went different directions and I just didn't stick with planes.

I have great memories of touring the Glasair Factory in the early 90's and disassembling dad's taylorcraft for restoration. Not to mention the airshows at the Boeing Field!

I hope that I can get back to my roots and pick up where I left off so many years ago, and share that with my kids!

http://garetsrv.blogspot.ca/
Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 PM

Welcome Garet!

You're in good company here. As you probably know there is a great resource of archived and human knowledge (and opinions) here on VAF. Check in regularly and often.

Bevan
Abbotsford BC
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 AM

I have an 7A also -flying.
Glad that you are building. Fun project, frustrating also at time, hang in there it will be worth it. There is plenty of help if you need it here on this site.
Dave/ Indiana
Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Default Welcome

Welcome Garet. Good choice. Remember, this is supposed to be fun so if you get frustrated, take a step back and remind yourself it's fun. Get the family involved so it's family fun.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:16 AM

Well thank you guys! Great advice! I've already have my son sorting tools. I have to laugh cause he's in it like a dirty shirt already! (he's only 3)

First big snag tonight. I think i'm going to hate riveting! My tool box went together so nice...it was precision & perfection. Then I dimpled using the pneumatic squeezer, so so....the hinges bowed. Still ok. The I started to rivet....Holy! I tried the squeezer, it was ok after i figured out how to tease the trigger to close the gap and center it on the rivet. Then i pulled out the 3X rivet gun and proceeded to nearly destroy the tool box!!! Things were moving everywhere, trying to push with the rivet gun, hold the bucking bar, box moving around, some rivets sticking up, had about 1 rivet in 15 that were nice!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:05 AM

Garet
This is one of those things you will need some help on. If you have an EAA chapter nearby, someone will be willing to show you the intricacies of riveting. Then you will need to practice quite a bit before taking the gun to the aircraft. You'll also need someone to help buck the rivets in several areas, so work on training a good friend as well. A good mentor from our chapter came over one day and taught my wife and I how to rivet, we practiced and then she bucked all my rivets and I shot them with the gun.
Best,
Jerry Folkerts
Old 09-13-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2500 View Post
Garet
This is one of those things you will need some help on. If you have an EAA chapter nearby, someone will be willing to show you the intricacies of riveting. Then you will need to practice quite a bit before taking the gun to the aircraft. You'll also need someone to help buck the rivets in several areas, so work on training a good friend as well. A good mentor from our chapter came over one day and taught my wife and I how to rivet, we practiced and then she bucked all my rivets and I shot them with the gun.
Best,
Jerry Folkerts
+1
Practice. Buy some scrap of similar thickness to the skin and rib parts.
Set lots of rivets. 426 and 470. Drill them out. Repeat.
Use different tools, sets, bars and the back plate. Find the pressure settings that work for your gun and your preference. Write them down.
You can't practice enough and drilling is as important as setting. I usually practice if I've been away for a couple days.

You may want to build the other practice kit.

Also, I don't understand why they have noobies dimple the hinge. It warps the part. Every hinge on the airplane is countersunk.
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Stay with it, Garet! Some of my "practice" mistakes are evident on my horizontal stab…mostly the underside, thankfully. In hindsight, I should've bought both practice kits and not just the toolbox.

Air pressure is key. Too much and the set will bounce all over the place and make "smilies" and dings. Too little, and it'll take forever to set each rivet, and the rivet will work-harden because it's been hit too many times.

For the flush set, here's a tip that was passed along to me: Put heavy duty clear packing tape over the heads of the flush rivets. It'll give the mushroom set a little "traction" and reduce the skating action.

Also, clamp your work down as much as possible. This is probably the single biggest thing that helped me get better results. Whenever I tried to fake it without clamping, it was almost guaranteed that I'd have to drill out a rivet or two. Ultimately, "shortcuts" make for more work!!

Don't get discouraged; your work will improve.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2017
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 PM

Default Lessons Learned

Well...That was a bit of an eye opener. Wirejock, Rightrudder....Thank you for your advice!! Turned down the air pressure, practiced on scrap pieces. Have everything dialed in and my pressure setting noted for a given rivet size. (The EAA video on riveting helped lots too)

Toolbox finished! I finished two.....but the third is complete perfection.

Lessons learned; 1. Do not have your wife hold the lid up while you try to rivet the handle to the lid. your rivet gun will slip off and dent the lid...twice. Clamp the lid! 2. Countersink the bottom hinge but dimple the top one. If you countersink the top hinge it's really difficult to have the top sheet nest correctly. Dimpling it works great. 3. It's amazing how much better your third one is than your first and coincidentally is done in a third the time

(P.S. I have time to kill while I wait for the Canadian Govn't to give me the green light to start my build)
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Default Practice kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
Stay with it, Garet! Some of my "practice" mistakes are evident on my horizontal stab…mostly the underside, thankfully. In hindsight, I should've bought both practice kits and not just the toolbox.

Air pressure is key. Too much and the set will bounce all over the place and make "smilies" and dings. Too little, and it'll take forever to set each rivet, and the rivet will work-harden because it's been hit too many times.

For the flush set, here's a tip that was passed along to me: Put heavy duty clear packing tape over the heads of the flush rivets. It'll give the mushroom set a little "traction" and reduce the skating action.

Also, clamp your work down as much as possible. This is probably the single biggest thing that helped me get better results. Whenever I tried to fake it without clamping, it was almost guaranteed that I'd have to drill out a rivet or two. Ultimately, "shortcuts" make for more work!!

Don't get discouraged; your work will improve.
Good tips here.
I use the heavy packing tape too. I use a sharpie and draw a "+" on the sticky side. It helps me place the center of the mushroom set over the rivet.
Build the other practice kit Garet. You need to know how to roll leading edges and rivet a trailing edge.
The other advise would be to search VAF before starting any component. Sometimes Vans instructions are not the best way to do things. Case in point, z-brackets.
Disclaimer