VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Default Porbably not if your screws are painted !

As mine where. It only took two hours for me to complete the sender replacement, start to finish, tank in.
Although I have never tried to cut the paint around the screws, and it may well be an easy job with the right tool, I was not willing to take the chance of ruining my paint job.
I was also not willing to leave my screws unpainted. Some do, and that is certainly a builders option, but I did not care for the unfinished appearance. My opinion only.
The other risk you take if your plane was painted post tank install is the very real opportunity to do damage to the ajoining paint on the skins. Paint flows between the skins and can form a bridge that might peel. I would be careful and scribe with a razer knife to make sure I didnt lift any paint if I was going to remove on a painted airplane.
I have removed the tank on an unpainted airplane. The countsunk skins take some grunt to wiggle loose.
That said, I have no doubt it would be quicker and easier to remove the tank for the repair, all things being equal.
Just trying to keep another view out. This is not a difficult job with the tank on.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM

Default gasket &sender repair

i just replaced both wing tank gaskets on cover and sender thought i would pass along what i learned it was not an easy job but it was not hopeless
this was done on rv-6a i ordered parts 2 large cork gaskets and 2 rubber gaskets for fuel senders from Vans parts were cheap now to begin by removing old parts i used a craftsman 90% screw driver to break loss screws and an 1" long super stubby scew driver on the left side i was able to remove sender in cover and right side removed sender then cover used mineral spri**** to clean parts then washed with soap and water and dried parts the old gaskets and screws were installed with a product called fuel lube it seemed to me it dried out on the cork gaskets and was part of leak problem and some of screws were weaping also and the rubber gasket under the sender was deformed from the gas they were installed in 2003 now the question what to use to reassemble after reading up on the old posts i decided to use aviation #3 permatex and applied to both side of cork gasket and screws and installed then i put permatex on sender gasket and screws and tightend but the permatex was to slippery on the rubber gasket so i removed a cleaned the gasket and installed with prematex on screws only on sender same thing on right side but i used a 1/4 inch rachet with phillips bit to tighten it was faster let sit for 24 hrs and added gas no leaks